• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Fan Idea!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wonderboy

I was thinking today about windtunnel design and thought about an idea to try. I wanted to run it by all of you first. Instead of having a radiator larger than the fan perhaps a fan larger than the radiator. Like having a 120 mm radiator and a 172 mm fan. This way the fan could be run at a low rpm and still draw plenty of air through the radiator.

<-------------| - _
<------------ |.....- __ _
<------------ |..........| |
-Fan-------->|........_|_| <----rad
<------------ |...._ -
<-------------|_-

l33t drawing, huh? :D

Last edited:
ok now we have broken the laws of physics here people

Wonderboy said:
<-------------| - _
<------------ |.....- __ _
<------------ |..........| |
<-------------|........_|_|
<------------ |...._ -
<-------------|_-

finaly proof that water infact falls sidways and to the left do to the rotation of the earth. :)

quit bashing wonderboy, guys! (once or twice is funny, after that it's annoying.) It's a very good idea, wonderboy, very similar to the idea of using a fandapter for a HSF so you can use an 80mm fan on a 60mm HS.

In theory it sounds great. In actuality it is difficult to get a low-speed fan to push air through a smaller duct. The taper would have to be very gradual. Fans don't provide much pressure.

It'd be worth a try if you had the room in your case, though.

thanks neomoses. I think i'll put that idea on the back burner for now. i have other things to worry about besides comming up with some crazy mod. (like learning photoshop, or getting better with mspaint)

Back