• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scant7

I was on Intel's site, and it said to run a 1.9Ghz or 2.0Ghz proc with good performance you need to at least have a P14... newest update is P18..

I checked and I have a P13, the one that came with my Gateway. My mobo number is D850GB

I was on this page http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/biosid.htm

and it says
The first TWO sections of the BIOS code you see on your computer must EXACTLY match the BIOS identifier codes for standard Intel® desktop boards. In this example, the "MV85010A" identifies the desktop board type, and the "86A" indicates it is a standard Intel version (86B, 86C, or 86E are also used on some older boards). If the first two sections do not match, then your desktop board was manufactured for a specific OEM. Please contact that manufacturer for help with your board.

I checked my line, and it says GB85010A.15A.0046.P13

Since I have 15A instead of 86A, do I have to contact gateway to update the BIOS or can I use Intel's?

I used gateway once, can't remember how exactly I updated them, I think I used a floppy or something, they told it kinda confusing.

The intel BIOS update file is a .exe... does it update BIOS automatically for you?

Thanks.

Updating BIOS

I am looking for the same answer. Have you found an answer to the BIOS version update? I asked Gateway about the update on thier site not working and they advised not updating unless there is an issue to be resolved and not just for the sake of updating. They had no definate answer for the difference in the intel GB85010A.15A and the GB85010.86A but avised against using intel utility. I found the following PDF info but don't know what it really means. Look at the description of the change paragraph 1.
http://developer.intel.com/design/pcn/MTHRBRD/D1016800.pdf

I generally tell people to only update the BIOS if there is a good reason. Usually you need to have a bootable floppy with an installer and the BIOS file on the disk. If anything goes wrong during the flash. you are basically screwed. If the download file from Intel is an .exe file, it probably self-extracts the BIOS file and installer and instructions text file when you execute the file. You will still need to put them on the floppy, reboot, and flash.

Back