• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heater core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aqrhine

before i go through the trouble of taking one out of this 87 toyota truck can anyone tell me their deminsions and if they will work well for water cooling

not sure of its dimensions but you could probably go on google and do a nice little searchy to find out if not take it out and who knows maybe someone else will want it if u dont. oh yah and dont forget to check for what metal it is made of u do not want the battery effect...

Aqrhine said:
giblet what type of truck do you have????

why does this post implay that people drive, let alone own, anything other then a Ford F-350 diesel dually crew-cab, 4x4 with the snowplow package :)

dagamore said:

why does this post implay that people drive, let alone own, anything other then a Ford F-350 diesel dually crew-cab, 4x4 with the snowplow package :)
Because some of us smarter folks drive extended cab Chebbys, have driveways too narrow for duallies, hate the smell of diesel and let other people plow the snow.....:cool:

hey i love chebby drivers, i make so much money every winter pulling them out of the ditch when it snows and since the trucks are so poorly made, it is easy to pull them out :)

Is it recommended to use a 2nd hand heater core - especially one that's 16 years old ? Wouldn't it be all gunked up and therefore less efficient ?

lexx, I wouldn't think its wise to use an old heater core, especially when new ones cost less than cleaning out old ones.....but to each his own.

Dag, if I ain't mistaken, the highest annual snowfall in the lower 48 is right up the road a piece (I live in the Sierra, where snow's a part of life). Don't forget to stay near that phone, I feel a ditch comin' on. :p

ok my bad for letting/taking the thread off topic.

but to answer your question, you should not use a used heatercore, because they are prone to leaking, and are hard to get completly clean. and even if you did get it clean, you would spend more in cleaning supplys and time, vs just buying a new one from the parts store, most of the ford f150 heater cores at my local Napa run about 25 bucks. i for one do not think that is too much to spend for a great heater core, it fit with out too much persasion in to my case right away and it keeps my dualy system well cooled.

this is the heatercore that i use

well when i say i take it out and i clean it and get it ready i mean that one of my dads mchanics will do it he owns a service shop here in small town oklahoma so i can tell them to do it and have it out and cleaned in 30 minutes opposed to driving to the nearest parts store 1 hour away or waiting for it to be shipped here tommarow the the next day. why is it bad to use a old one i hear of people using ones out of 68 chevys and 78 camaros and old cars like that.

aqrhine, most people are using ones not from that year, but made for that modle of cars, and are buying new ones. if you can get it totaly clean for free, then do it. but keep in mind that a used one will have a greater change of leaking and or will react faster to decompostion because of wear and tear on it, it may have thiner walls and might rust through faster. but if you want to take the risk with a 2-3 thounsand dollor machine go right ahead.

i think i will use it for this week and maybe next but in the next week or two i am going to oklahoma city to get some plexi glass i will just get a new one then.

lexx said:
Sorry for getting back to the topic of the thread !

this is really off topic, but i saw your name/avatar, and I just have to say that I loved Lexx, at least the movies, 2nd and most of the 3rd seasons.....such a cool show

dagamore said:
ok my bad for letting/taking the thread off topic.

but to answer your question, you should not use a used heatercore, because they are prone to leaking, and are hard to get completly clean. and even if you did get it clean, you would spend more in cleaning supplys and time, vs just buying a new one from the parts store, most of the ford f150 heater cores at my local Napa run about 25 bucks. i for one do not think that is too much to spend for a great heater core, it fit with out too much persasion in to my case right away and it keeps my dualy system well cooled.

this is the heatercore that i use

Yup got me a copper Ford F-150 Heatercore. 18.95 at Checker. now how the heck do i cut, or get rid of the tubes in the top and install 1/2 barbs?

Back