• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Check out my block design.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shroomer

member with no avatar
The emphasis is on ease of assembly. I would like to make it so that only a drill, dremel, and torch are required.

Anyway, some explination. The idea here is based on Jet impingement. I have not done any calculations on the subject. This will be revision 1 and all subsiquent blocks will show a bit more research put into them.

It is not built yet, but the parts will be ordered within the next couple of days and HOPEFULLY will be put together by the beginning of Feb.

Any suggestions will be welcome. Just try to avoid "this will totaly suck;)"

Notes:

Layer 1 is the base with just some dremel cuts in the center with a ceramic wheel.

Layer 2 is just for seperation. It creates the water channel.

Layer 3 is where the inlet and outlets will be soldered to the top rather than tapped in.

block.GIF

looks pretty nice, although it looks quite like jaydee116's new block... lol and you mite want to consider another form of jet inpingement, that one rite there would restrict almost no flow. but is a good idea, maybe it would work with smaller holes...

Hmm... I guess it is similar. No way to prove the idea didn't come from him, so I guess I'll send credit his way. I'm not concerned about all that.

Anyway... The water channel is only 3/4" (19mm) by 3/32" (2.5mm) deep... I thought that would impede flow a bit, but I might be wrong. Any suggestions on what size to make the jets? The ones in the drawing are 1/8" (3mm).

Here was the one I was working on. Now moved onto REV 2.0.v Which I posted. Carry on with it. I would like to see it completed.
006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Shroomer said:
Hmm... I guess it is similar. No way to prove the idea didn't come from him, so I guess I'll send credit his way. I'm not concerned about all that.

Anyway... The water channel is only 3/4" (19mm) by 3/32" (2.5mm) deep... I thought that would impede flow a bit, but I might be wrong. Any suggestions on what size to make the jets? The ones in the drawing are 1/8" (3mm).

I would go with jets that are 1/16 (about 2mm). I would make the distance of the jets from the base no further than 10mm. The amount of jets is kind of debatable. I would go with the same amount of jets as you did in your last draw up. Make one jet dead center in the middle with the remaining jets evenly spaced around the center one. Don't put them so close together or the jets will just interupt each other. I will state the reason I say less jets as you had on your first draw up. Your first one you had enough holes that had a total surface area a bit smaller that a inside diameter of a big 1/4 hole which is no different than a 3/8 barb. You would get roughly the same flow, a tad bit more pressure and velocity as a 3/8 barb.

What you want to do is create enough velocity and pressure hitting the base of your block that it almost eleminates or atleast thins the boundery layer which improves heat transfer. If you can do that, the effect from loss of flow will be marginal. It's like holding your thumb over the end of a hose to make the distance of the water stream reach further away.

The jets will only be 2.5mm away from the base (plus the depth of the dremel cuts), so that alone should restrict flow somewhat. Without knowing the actual way to calculate these factors, the only way for me to know how many and how big the jets should be would be to build and test. That's really what I want to do anyway. I like the four 1/8" hole plan the best right now, but I suppose that seven 1/16" holes would do pretty well too. I am a bit worried about restricting flow too much, though.

Shroomer said:
The jets will only be 2.5mm away from the base (plus the depth of the dremel cuts), so that alone should restrict flow somewhat. Without knowing the actual way to calculate these factors, the only way for me to know how many and how big the jets should be would be to build and test. That's really what I want to do anyway. I like the four 1/8" hole plan the best right now, but I suppose that seven 1/16" holes would do pretty well too. I am a bit worried about restricting flow too much, though.

Yeah, it's hard to say because it's pretty much an untested area so there is no real sure way to do it. I'v only read up on the subject and followed a couple of other's ideas from here. Only thing to do is try different jet setups and see what you get. I built my block so that I can change jets at will. Though I'm limited to 2 mm distance for each different jet I use. I didnt think of it being adjustable at the time. Right now I'm using a single 3/16 jet and it hasn't hurt flow or atleast not to much that I can tell. I havn't seen a change in temp though air is still bleeding and I'v havn't put a 100% load to it yet.

Follow this thread

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=159340

Ask Cathar or DodgeViper. Their the only ones I seen here who have any real experience other than just theory.

I am thinking about using an oval one hole nozzel in my latest creation.
009.jpg

I have a odd feeling oval maybe good. have nothing to back it up yet though. :D Trial and error is king in this department.

jaydee116 said:
I am thinking about using an oval one hole nozzel in my latest creation.
009.jpg

I have a odd feeling oval maybe good. have nothing to back it up yet though. :D Trial and error is king in this department.

Oval might be good. I've been trying different diameter jets with no luck yet. I starting to lean towards the idea that one would need a mighty head strong pump. I like this 3 piece design like you did with your block. Looks easy to mix and match pieces for testing.

SysCrusher said:

I like this 3 piece design like you did with your block. Looks easy to mix and match pieces for testing.
With the equipment I have it takes 39 seconds to cut the 1/4" top acrylic peice with holes, and 32 seconds for the 1/4" middle peice with holes. Tomorrow if I have time I will cut a 1/8" peice with the oval nozzel in it. Should take about 35 seconds. :D

Of course this would take much longer without the $50,000 laser. :D

I belive a good pump with good head pressure makes the nozzel that much more effective. I need the water to actually hit the bottom of the base as close as possible in order for the micro pins to work. I did hold it over a faucet and watched the water and it showed ripples so i know they will work. How well I don't know yet.

Shroomer said:

go with the seven 1/16'' holes, with at least 1/6'' space between them, that worked well with my direct die cooling, similar spacing between the jet outlet and surface too.

it will restrict flow, but the extra fluid volecity will more than make up for it.

i really like what this looks like the pyramid design should not cut down on flow much at all and i hope to see some temps come rollin on in here... ...basicly i really like the block and wish it was mine...

guys, remember whos thread this is.............................jaydee has his own around here too....

go with the seven 1/16'' holes, with at least 1/6'' space between them, that worked well with my direct die cooling, similar spacing between the jet outlet and surface too.

So you're saying thath the distance from the jets to the block surface should be 1/6" or 1/16"?

Shroomer said:

So you're saying thath the distance from the jets to the block surface should be 1/6" or 1/16"?

ahh sorry, I meant similar distance as you currently have, 2.5mm, but 1/6'' would be fine too, make both if you want and see which one works best for you.

I'll only be able to make one to begin with because of money, but I'll probably be messing around later. I'm really trying to find a block that the average person can do at home and still end up with something good. Maybe not the best, but good.

I'll probably be trying a whitewater clone eventually since I've seen how to do it easily.

Volenti said:

it will restrict flow, but the extra fluid volecity will more than make up for it.

How far did those jets you did shoot water and did they have enough velocity? What pump and what was the head and pressure of it?

With the big open cavity and knowing that I'm going to put dremel cuts in there... Could I get away with a 1/8" base instead of 3/16"? I'm worried about clamping force warping the base.

Here is a pic of the evolution so far... I don't have a program to crop installed, so bear with me here.
block3.GIF

Last edited:
Back