• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sammy Mem Sucks??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OverClockedStu

Registered
I have Samsung PC2700 Mem...anyways

the absolute highest fsb i can o/c it to is 176...with 2.85V

It goes error happy in memtest86 anything higher

It wont even run right at 266(gives errors in prime95)

at 176 its stable (for 16 hours no fail)

Also...My mobo only supports 1 module of ram at 200, 2 at 166(at7 max2) but I have 2 256 sticks trying to o/c to >176

It even says rated for cas 2.0 133 or lower i run it at cas 2.5 just for a chance of it passing prime95...thx for response

where did you get that ram?? are you sure its original samsung?? cuz i got one from googlegear and it was a crappy oem pcb with samsung chips, in fact it used to crap out around that too...

Newegg...it says samsung on the sticker...donno what else it would be? Can i tell what kind of pcb? the ram is VERY VERY thin if that means anything, maybe even thinner then PC133 or maybe the same?

if it has the samsung sticker its original, but it might be the crappy dtl one that wont oc to 400MHz for sh*t so i think sammy ram does sux, sorry

i810, what happened to your unworking comp? was it the mobo after all?

i have learned more about computers this past week then i have in my life.

If I had know what I know now I wouldnt have gotten the MAX-2 the samsung ram the crappy HSF...mediocre vid card ect

PhobMX said:
if it has the samsung sticker its original, but it might be the crappy dtl one that wont oc to 400MHz for sh*t so i think sammy ram does sux, sorry

i810, what happened to your unworking comp? was it the mobo after all?

lol, it's a long story that started back in October,
Originally purchased an Asus A7V333 & XP1600+ AGOIA. It ran for 2 minutes and then would no longer POST/start up at all, but the fans would still go on. Troubleshooted everything I could (thanks again for the help guys!), but couldn't get it working, so I RMA'd the board.

I ordered an Epox 8K5A3+ instead, and it still didn't work. With help from the board members, it was decided that the CPU was most likely dead, although upon physical inspection, there the core isn't chipped or cracked, and there are no burn marks. I picked out an XP1700+ T-Bred (retail) locally, popped it in, and the system finally worked.

In the second half of my adventures, the CPU was the problem- but I don't know if it was just a bad CPU or the Asus board may have fried it somehow? :confused:

I ran it for a month nicely with an old PCI video card, and got a Radeon 9700 Pro for Christmas, but had severe stability problems with the RAM @ CAS2, even swapped in a Ti4600 and I had the same problem. Upon later testing, the stick (512MB Corsair XMS3500) of RAM was stable as a rock up to 200Mhz (where BIOS tearing starts on this board), but it- like several other sticks of RAM I later tried- were not liked by this board. All good RAM, but the board was extremely fickle. And that is why I am upgrading to an 8RDA+, hope everything works out for me.

Well yep...

So i have been burning in for a while....

want to try o/cin

Set it to 176x11.5 very mild o/c

fails prime95 on first test

I had to up my sammy voltage to 2.95(!!!)

Now when the mobo says it can occupy 2 DDR 333 and 1 DDR400 i guess it meant like 1.90 in DDR352 lol

Anyways I set my FSB to 176...went to dram settings and it says FSB is 166 and dramclock is 166

Do ya think I got a bum ram or does most sammy suckz0r

I have a stick of Samsung 512MB DDR333 I bought last summer from Googlegear. It is not original. It's Samsung chips on OEM PCB. It will run DDR400 at CAS2, or as high as DDR415 at CAS2.5. Zero errors memtest86.

oops I was wrong...the CHIPS say samsung, not the stickers....

I guess this PCB really sucks lol

Ignorance sucks when you learn you made a stupid choice 3 weeks later :mad: :mad: :mad:

Samsung PC2700 CTl is actually very good in most reviews the Samsung came out in the top 3.

I have had great luck with my 512 stick, It will do 177 fsb but I run at 166 with Turbo settings on my 8K3A solid as a rock

Cisco Kid

boy mine dont do that. They can't run on turbo settings at 133 fsb

I think the fact that I got 2x256, a crap pcb, bum luck, and 2700 makes me slightly mad...but hey it was cheap only like 160 for the 512

OverClockedStu said:
boy mine dont do that. They can't run on turbo settings at 133 fsb

I think the fact that I got 2x256, a crap pcb, bum luck, and 2700 makes me slightly mad...but hey it was cheap only like 160 for the 512

1 corsair pc3200 pc3200 cas2 stick is worth $170ish atm :rolleyes:

could be you have 1/5 divider with the at7 holding you back. I have kt400 and anything much over 35MHz pci cause my western digital drive to fail.

my old stick of sammy k4h560838d-tcb3 is way better than the newer stuff k4h560838c-tcb3. 20-30 mhz better in fact depending on latentcy settings.

512m "d"
175MHz @ 2.6v 2-2-2-6-1t 100% stable
186MHz @ 2.7v 2-3-3-7-2t stable except large disk transfers

512m "c" (still testing, just recived from newegg)
166 @ 2.6v 2-2-3-7-2t boots windows but fails
166 @ 2.6v 2.5-3-3-7-2t stable
175 @2.8v 2.5-3-3-7-2t fails no post

in short:
d rules
c sucks

Last edited:
yah.. i seem to have one of the crappy samsung sticks... it does 133fsb (PC2100) at the fastest settings but needs to be slowed down to CL2.5, no interleave to reach 166fsb (PC2700)
it's a 512mb stick:

K4H560838D-TCB3

(it's a D tho... and radadman said his D code stick was better, hmmm)

Back