• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to O/C my pc, what memory to use???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Awakened2002

Registered
My pc specs are listed below. I want to have 512 MB of ram and i'm not sure what to do. Should i keep the stick of 256 that i have right now and get another stick of 256? Or should i get a single stick of 512? Eventhough my MB is rated for DDR 333, should i get a higher rated stick(PC3200/PC3500)?

pip said:
I would ditch your 333 and get some good cas 2 pc 2100, your fsb isn't wide enough to support ddr 333

umm, if he is going to oc, then he should be raising the fsb on his system and will need better than pc2100.

awakened - it depends on how much you plan to oc your system. if you are only going to push your fsb to 166 or so, pc2700 is fine. if you want to try to get it past that, you will probably want to get pc3200. corsair xms is pretty much agreed upon as the best, but it is kinda expensive. googlegear usually has the best prices for it.

I've already raised my fsb to 166X10 and it ran fine. I used Prime to stress test it and it was stable. I tried raising my multiplier, it wouldn't load XP. So i'm going to try to raise my fsb next time... I just ordered a Antec True Power 430 to replace my Enermax 300 watts to ensure enough power to oc the most i can since i didn't feel safe going any higher with the enermax. I don't mind buying Corsair XMS, but should i get PC3200 or will PC3500 be needed? Lets say i get a XP 2800+ (or better) in 6 months, what would be a better investment?

considering he has the 8k5a2+, I don't think he can get to 420mhz(unless his raid0 setup can handle high fsb's)

With the 1/5 divider, I can only get to 187. At 188, some funky stuff happens...everything in the bios is all scrambled up and stuff :eek:

Anyways, my PC2700 "value ram" can easily handle the 187 at 2-2-2-6 and at 2.75V. If you go kingston, hope for the winbond chips :)

Back