• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4pe rev. 1.03 reads correct temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingdom

Hi

I had a p4pe rev 1.01 if im not mistaking, wich read my cpu temps at some 64c, the boards somehow died on me (wouldnt turn on) so i rma'ed it and got a new one, rev. 1.03, nothing has changed in my computer besides the new motherboard, but now it reads my temps at 52c under full load, im on intel stock hs, they havent fixed the overvoltage problem though.

Just an info for newcomers with rev. 1.03 boards who belive their board are reading wrong temps.

well 52c under full load with a 2.66ghz @ 3.06ghz on stock cooling sounds right to me, and since my old asus p4b533-e reported 54c with a 2.53 @ 3.04ghz with stock cooling i belive the temp is correct, i doubt my true temps would be 52c - 10-12c = 42-40c with stock cooling, if so my stock cooler is on water wich it aint.

I have a rev 1.03 P4PE also which replaced an Epox EP-4BDA2+. I've been reading a lot of threads where people reported the P4PE sensors being way off by reading high. With the same CPU, cooling, case, and peripherals, my P4PE reported the same temps (within 1 dec C) as the Epox and seem entirely reasonable to me.

Maybe they fixed the sensors in rev 1.03 boards, also, ran all three BIOS's and got same readings no matter the BIOS version.

Kingdom said:
well 52c under full load with a 2.66ghz @ 3.06ghz on stock cooling sounds right to me, and since my old asus p4b533-e reported 54c with a 2.53 @ 3.04ghz with stock cooling i belive the temp is correct, i doubt my true temps would be 52c - 10-12c = 42-40c with stock cooling, if so my stock cooler is on water wich it aint.

What is ur motherboard temp?? Isn't the difference in temp. between the MB and CPU about 10C?? My idle temp is 33C and load is 43C. The MB temp. is 23C.

Mike

Ive got a P4PE rev1.03 that reports high temps. I know a few others at Asusboards.com that do as well. So I doubt its a revision issue.

BTW, I have a question no one in two forums has been able to answer conclusively: Is the P4PE reading temps form the CPU die or from a socket diode?

If its reading from the CPU and filtering/adjusting through the BIOS code, then one would suspect that everyone with the same BIOS would have similar results for similar CPU/cooler combos. The fact that some new shipments of boards are now showing temps by a clearly lower 10c WITH THE SAME BIOS makes me wonder if the reported temps might be coming from a socket based sensor. And that Asus is now using a new better calibrated sensor.

Has anyone been given conclusive word from Asus that CPU temps are being measured from the CPU internal diode? Or can anyone look at each of the little devices in the socket and conclusively identify all of them (verifying none are a temp sensor)?

I know we all "hear" and "think" and "read" and want to "logically conclude" temps are being read from the CPU. But with these new P4PE developments, it sure is not looking that way :(

TheNamelessOne said:
Well its not true that everyone would get the same results from the same cooling setup because you have to take ambient temperature into account.

Obviously....and thats why I used the word "similar" (not "same") :D :D

Anybody have anything conclusive that says P4PE is reading CPU temps and not socket temps?

Last edited:
I bet a Volcano 7+ would lower those temps, it did on mine. I finally went with a swiftech and a tornado and it is down to 44-47c with it clocked to 3.09

I examined my P4PE and saw nothing in the socket that appeared to be a thermistor. On other motherboards the socket thermistor is generally "bent" upwards so that it gets closer or even touches the bottom of the core. So it must be using diode readings unless they put in a tiny surface mount thermistor in there. And that would be a **** poor solution because of the distance you would have between the thermistor and the core.

this is a false statment, i have a rev 1.03 idle cpu 40c load 52c,stock HSF,enermax 365 psu with 2 fans,and also one intake and one outake fan i think the temps are reported wrong

I have been using 1003 for a while now, however my temp reading are no different than before. Doc, MBM5 reads temps from the BIOS so I would't trust it. I added an X-pider thermal monitor to my system and ran the termistor under my Volcano 7+ and put it in contact with CPU edge, I finally have temps I can trust. 39C idle to around 44 load.

I don't understand what all this fuss is about? My temp is bios reads like 3x~4x cpu and 2x~30 mobo temp..I have not updated the bios at all, still using 1001.

Have downloaded 1002, but never got the chance to update.

Back