• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BE/ 845PE problems...please help me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SYT_Shadowfax

I have a 845PE. When I set it up and pressed the power button, all it did was BEEP followed by two shorter beeps. It's on but doesn't POST. All of this in stock. After rebooting 5 or 6 times it reboots and works just fine.
I don't even know what those beeps mean. An error for sure, but what exactly? It does this every once in a while. Sometimes it just spontaneously reboots. It does this even if it isn't overclocked. The chip is a 2.4B SL6D7 and it's never seen a higher temps than 54ºC. What can i do? Would a fan on the northbridge help? My vender knows I've o/ced the system so he won't RMA it.

HELP!!! :-:)bang head

Abit BE7 845PE
2.4b
512mb XMS Corsair 400Mhz C2 3200 ram (I've tested it with mem86->I know it's rock stable, even at 412mhz).
Ti4200 Abit Siluro 128mb Geforce4
430w PS (12V rail has never gone under 11.62 V, even when running Prime)
2*60GB HDD in RAID 0. Both are WD-SE 8mb

The heatsink/fan is the CoolerMaster L61. It is quite good.

I don't know what else to tell you, but I'd be glad to clear out any potential issues.

The two beeps are the memory not working right. the bios looks at the first 64k of mem. Change the mem around and see if that helps. I know you checked it but you know how that goes. could also be a bad MB.

mine did that as well in the beginning, it was due to the fact that the BIOS wasn't able to handle PC3200 memory or higher without a BIOS update, I stuck in some PC2100 and did a BIOS flash and stuck the PC3200 back in and it booted right up without any problems at all..

Hi again.
I ran Prime95 at 150fsb (2.7ghz) and it ran and ran and ran until I turned off the computer. I have all the BIOS flashes. I did the first one a few weeks ago and I was scared to death about something coming out wrong.

For the last few days it's been behaving better. No spontaneous reboots and stuff.
PS: could the video card be what causes the reboots? It runs 3dmark fine but returns to desktop if i try to run PcMark. How come?

Also, why doesn't it post at over 160fsb. I know it isn't the memory. Could it be that the cpu has inadecuate cooling? I have the coolermasterl61 with the two heatpipes and a low volume fan (15cfm). I know that fan doesn't push enough air around but here in Europe it's impossible to buy 70mm fans (at least in Spain), and shipping one here is 37$ I have a 120/80 shroud I've adapted onto the heatsink with ghetto means and a 120mm 2000rpm fan that pushes 54 cfm. How I see gains from putting that fan instead of the stock one?

Wher do you get the new Bios to flash? Abit didnt post any Biosupdate in the BE7-Sektion, since the Board hits the Market...
So, where do you get it ?

greetz

Now this is gonna sound really really dumb and show what a newbie I really am:

I went to www.abit.tw (or whatever) and went to the BE7 section. There I downloaded the latest BIOS. It said it had fixed a compatibility issue with Radeon 9700's and a few more things. I went through the (scary) process of flashing the BIOS.

I imagine it was a new BIOS, but if you say it wasn't, then i imagine it wasn't.

I would never put a hacked BIOS in my mb, rest assured.

BTW, Abit BIOS' tells you if you're trying to "update" to the same BIOS already in your motherboard. If what I put in wasn't a new one, then I should've gotten a message.

But which version do you flash ? I can find only the BE7_BS Bios at abit.com, they call it first relaese.... Which Biosversion came with your Board ?

greetz

Edit: sorry, seems, that they doesnt support the germansite....i just went Abit USA, and still found two more versions...shame on me....:D

Last edited:
Back