• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tubing that won't degrade - suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G33k

Right, I've been water-cooling for a couple of years now and one thing I've never really solved is the problem of tubing degrading. These are my thoughts on the varieties I'm aware of :

PVC : Is what I tend to use. It's cheap, looks nice and clear when new. The only real problem is that over time, it becomes cloudy and looks more like the translucent silicon stuff you get :(

Silicon : Much more flexible than PVC and doesn't kink as easily. Sadly, all the stuff I've seen has been translucent. I use dyelite in my system so having transparent tubing is a big deal.

Tygon : I was told this stuff shouldn't degrade and become cloudy like PVC. The problem is that it kinks SO easily! Maybe I got the wrong brand (mine's labelled as R-1000 if that means anything?)?

I've personally only really used PVC. I have some Tygon, but didn't use it in the end due to it kinking so easily. The other problem I have with Tygon is that I don't like having to bother with jubilee clips etc. 1/2" (12.5mm) PVC can be stretched over the 15mm connections on the rest of my setup and once on, won't let go.

What does everyone else use? Have I got a peculiar variety of Tygon? Is there another kind of tubing that I've missed out? Is there any tubing that will stay clear for significant periods of time?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give!

I just ordered some Tygon R-3603 tubing yesterday, so i'll let you know when it gets here how it performs. The R-1000 is super-soft tubing according to their site, it is designed to be flexible at much lower temperatures.

Here is a link to their site with all the different types of tubing. Maybe you will find one that suits your needs.

I've been using Clear-flex tubing for a month and the inner walls are already showing signs oof discoloration. It was nice and clear before w/ a little tint of blue now it kind of hazed over. I am using distilled water and water wetter, maybe its just that. I tried cleaning it even with CLR, but that just made it worst! I think I'm going to try some of that Tygon stuff as long as no one else is experiencing any hazing with this tubing.....

Skifletch : How long have you had your PVC in your system and do you use anything like Water Wetter in your water?

Thanks,
G33k

Geek,

after 6months R3603 Discoloured to brown tint. Its still based on PVC IIRC.

Still far better then untreated PVC, but very expensive and relatively low working temp range.

Cheers for that Jess - I think I'll stick with regular cheap PCV and just change the tubes every so often...

Using PVC myself, and while it is still clear after about 6 months I don't like this type of tubing very much. The problem is that it kinks like crazy and this makes it almost impossible to set up cleanly.

Back