• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Is This? Anyone Know?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnWishedLegacy

I had a bit of a scare with my PC last week, but I got that sorted out before long and was after some answers to the questions I had as to what happened... and I have only one question left to ask...

IF I have 4 slots to put my memory in, and I have two sticks totaling the memory that Windows says I have, then why do I have two smaller sticks that seem to do nothing?

I'll phrase that better, I have 2 SDRAM sticks of 128kb (or thereabouts), making what my machine says is 255kb Ram.
But in the two remaining RAM slots I have two mystery sticks that MAY be ram.

The length is the same (fits into my SDRAM sockets) but they arn't as high. Heres a piccy to show you... PIC.

Any ideas? As far as I can work out (with help from 'Ronin'), it's NOT memory- so what the hell is it?

The top stick in the pic is of my 128kb RAM, the bottom is the unknown object- it does however have an MSI logo and a product number... "MS-6908 Ver. 100", a search on the MSI website proved useless. So its over to you guys.

My uncle's computer had those in it. From what I gathered, they are just "blanks" that are placed in the empty memory slots. They are probably needed so that the system knows there is nothing there or something like that.

you have an 850 chipset mb. therefore it runs rambus ram. rambus runs in series and needs pairs to work. you have 1 pair of of rambus in the 1st 2 slots. the small sticks you have in slots 3&4 are continuity sticks that must be placed in unused memory slots

those are crimms... those are used for empty Rdram mem sockets, if you have 4 sockets and only 2 rimms you have to use the crimms to fill the 2 empty mem sockets to get you pc working.

Back