• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silent WC solution: huge heater-core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mercury Lenth

Registered
Hi people, I’m new to the WC world, and I’m about the make the move, but I still haven’t decided witch kind of WC solution I’m going for...

I want to build a power-gaming-box/HTPC, so it must be *silent* AND powerful (I know, I know...). Here is a link to my current/future components: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158498

My favourite choice for a silent WC solution would be something like that:
http://www.low-noise.de/forum/upload/ct100/pc-rueckseite.jpg

But I don’t know where I could get an heater core THAT big for a good price and what kind of pump power I need to flow the water in a beast like that. Anyone has tried a project like that? Pros and cons? Etc...

Thanx in advance for any info.

It's not how big your heatercore is all the time.
It's not how much airflow you blow through your heatercore.

Heatcores give good results in our applications by having *very* little relative airflow through them. Just find a quiet mid speed 120mm use a shroud and if you have to you can volt mod or rheobus later. 100% quiet is a great goal to shoot for, but if you can live with little noise, it's best just to do that.

I want to build a power-gaming-box/HTPC

Actually a rheobus, or something else to allow multiple fan speeds would fit your sintuation like a glove and be your best bet.

well, I use quite the large heatercore myself, the big bad Serck, and I can say that its an excellent core. I only need one low speed 80mm running that I yanked from a dead PS with a shroud and I can keep my AXP@3000+ to 41c load... big heatercores are quite nice indeed

The Lytron 6320 (1' X 2' copper) radiators have been selling on Ebay for $27.

The place that is selling them has probably listed five or more in the last couple weeks. (I don't think all have sold.) Only one is being listed now.

The ebay link is here.

I just got one a week ago at the starting bid price of $27 + $16 shipping. It was absolutely mint.

The thing is a beast though. It's not only large, it's heavy. (Don't know if I'll ever use it)

(*checking the rad on ebay*) Interesting…

Since87, why would you NOT use it after buying it?

Have you any idea of what kind of pump would I need to run that thing?

Any link to a huge heater-core? :D

Mercury Lenth said:
Since87, why would you NOT use it after buying it?

Have you any idea of what kind of pump would I need to run that thing?

I might use it if I decide that I want something quieter once I get my system put together. If I don't use it, I may sell it in the classifieds.

It is fairly restrictive to waterflow compared to a heatercore, but because the tubing is accessible at the ends of the radiator, it is possible to cut the tubing, and put sections of the tubing in parallel to lower its restrictiveness dramatically.

Back