• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmTSea19

When I install the ABIT Max 2 version 2 Motherboard, should I just install it with everything it comes with and then update the BIOS, or can I start with the newest version of BIOS? If so, how do I do that? Thanks.

You mean the software? inf audio etc?
I would do the bios first. but you don't have to.
Go to abit's site and get the latest bios and directions for install.
Thats my opinion maybe soneone else can shed some light.

I agree with Logger. You don't need your windows drivers and such for updating your BIOS. I would leave the system empty (i.e. no OS), boot from floppy into clean DOS mode, and flash the BIOS. Then install your OS, for which you will (might) need the rest of your drivers. Remember to do all this at stock speed.

Having done all that, it's Overclocking Time :)

Jirnsum said:
I agree with Logger. You don't need your windows drivers and such for updating your BIOS. I would leave the system empty (i.e. no OS), boot from floppy into clean DOS mode, and flash the BIOS. Then install your OS, for which you will (might) need the rest of your drivers. Remember to do all this at stock speed.

Having done all that, it's Overclocking Time :)

Well said.
BTW check my brand new signature. :D

regards

R.

Make sure you check at abit's web site for updated drivers, for the board, because the cd isn't always up to date. Also go to Intel's site and get the latest chipset drivers and Intel application accelerator program (maybe the same at abit, but check). These go in right after windows....chipset drivers 1st.

Maxwedge, yah that is what I am asking. I never flashed a BIOS before. I don't know how to do it yet. I think the only realy way to know is by trying, *lol*. I was trying to figure out if I should use any of the CD or stuff that comes with the MB and update later or skip what comes in the package and use the BIOS and drivers and stuff from the website.

The bios is already on the bios chip on the MB. Most likely its not the newest one. Put in your vid card ram and cpu . Now if you have access to another computer you will have to go to abits download site and get the latest bios for your mb. I think it will be a exe file. you put that file on a floppy that is bootable which means you format it with system files. Boot from the floppy and follow the directions from the abit site.

On mine I run the exe file and then I type in runme and follow the prompts.

If you are having a problem understanding this ask away........

http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bios/it7-max2r2.htm
Don't listen to abit site you don't need the flash util its in the exe file

You can always flash your bios later, so I would set your system up 1st and then learn how to flash the bios later. As far as driver dates and version #, you need to find out whats on the cd and then compare to whats on the web. I've tryed 'exploring' my Abit cd's and couldn't come up with this info......so what I do, is start to install a driver on the cd and then the install screen will come up with the version # and date. Write it down and then cancel the install. Now you can compair.

Back