• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Improving Latency in Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlowChemical

my brother has my old compaq rig that is about two years old and has 128 mB of RAM(original compaq RAM) and an nvidia vanta(old.) if i put in a geforce 2 or 4 and took out that 128 stick and added 512 MB RAM would that improve his performance? He doesn't believe me when i say it would improve overall performance...he thinks that performance relies solely on processor mHZ. Does Crucial make good non-DDR RAM, does it matter what the brand is?

Thanks,
SlowChemical

oh god yes vanta s one of the worst videocards EVER, and the memory will improve the performance massively although if it's not running xp it will only need 256 mb, with sdr you really don't need to care that much about brand just as long as it's not generic try to make it cas 2, you could get this for somewhere about $40

Crucial PC-133 is great stuff, does 2-2-2 timings fine in my Celeron rig, and are known to be good overclockers too- seen 150Mhz on these sticks.

Radeon-8500 is cheaper than the GeForce 4 Ti series so u should give it a look.

Its a great little card and just about all u need. Alternatively check out the Radeon All-in-Wonder, <-----multimedia machine! Its err got pretty much everything ;)

BTW-
You need to smack some sense into your brother with an oversized herring :D

If you get 512 of pc133 and a radeon8500 that should bring him up to speed a bit.

Just refer him to us (or futermark for that matter) about performance being all bout the mhz.

nealric said:
BTW-
You need to smack some sense into your brother with an oversized herring :D

If you get 512 of pc133 and a radeon8500 that should bring him up to speed a bit.

Just refer him to us (or futermark for that matter) about performance being all bout the mhz.

What is the speed of the processor in the Compaq though? If its a K6/2 or a Celeron, wouldn't an 8500 be a total waste?

SlowChemical said:
i am also looking at some value RAM...any comments on that?

Trust me,compaq and HP are about the pickiest PC's on the planet when it comes to ram,get the crucial,micron is what both companies use to start with and it will be fine,I have seen compaq's reject memory that it really shouldnt of,but kingston and crucial have neither one let me down in these machines.

wildone

PC133 is fine if its 100,133 is 99.9% backwards compatible and is usually cheaper.

and both companies make both speeds.

wildone

Last edited:
sweet, my parents want to get him some stuff for his computer for his birthday, RAM and A Vid Card prolly.... My parents don't know crap about computers so they're gonna give me the money and im gonna go buy the stuff...

Back