• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory For The Non-Overclocker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmTSea19

I only have to buy a couple more items and then I can start building my system. I am having a hard time deciding which 512MB memory to buy. I was thinking of Kingston Value RAM, but they make it with Infineon chips now, and you guys say that isn't good. I like the Corsair XMS 2700 CAS2, but is that overkill?
If I am going to run my memory at default settings, then would XMS make a difference? Is it still worth it to buy?
I read good things and bad things about Samsung, Geil, OCZ, etc...Crucial seems okay. Mushkin seems to be the same as Corsair. So, which great and stable RAM does a Non-Overclocker need to have a really good system? Thanks.

Since your not going to overclock. Whats the default FSB of your processor? What motherboard are you using with the it?

Your running an Intel, hmmm the more memory you can get the bteter to feed your processors bandwith, but that would mean you having to go into bios and changing ratios and such which you don't want to do. So get the Corsair PC02700 LL so it runs at the fastest timings by deffault no playing with the bios involved.

The Kingston value ram is cheaper (about 100 for 512mb at newegg) and i dont think youll really notice a difference in the timings. Maybe a VERY slight differnce.

I don't know, I still can't decide. I am not sure about all the technical stuff with memory.

I am thinking either:

Crucial 2100 $100 for two 256MB modules
Kingston 2700 $104 for one 512MB module
Corsair XMS 2700 $168 for one 512MB module.

I am not an Overclocker. I can't decide wether to get the best Corsair XMS to make up for not overclocking, or just go with the Crucial or Kingston? Crucial is such a buy right now, really cheap.
Will it slow down my system significantly though, or what? *lol* I don't know.

Plus, Quantity vs. Quality? Is getting more of the cheap RAM better than expensive Ram, like an extra 256MB?

Money isn't the problem, I just don't want to pay extra for something that won't perform or is unneeded in my system.

Abit Max 2 ver. 2, 9500 Pro, Win XP Pro, etc...

Echoing metra's comment, you wont notice the difference unless you run benchmarks. I personally am not entertained by benchmarks. it's all about game performance for me and the difference ends up being minute. more ram is better, especially if your running winxp. winxp will run best with 512MB or more. I personally have 1 GB because BF1942 runs the best with more RAM.

Crucial or kingston should work just fine for you and not cost a bundle. They will also leave you a little room if you decide to overclock later. No reason to spend extra money on mushkin or Corsair if your planning to run your system at rated speed.

I say go with the Crucial PC2700. It's on sale right now through their site for $118.99 use coupon code BBUSERGROUP and get an extra 5% off too. So for $113 you get 512MB of PC2700 ram.

Fatwallet.com
Techbargains.com
Slickdeals.net
DVDtalk.com

Or do a search on google for a certain store coupon like Amazon.com coupon.

with a p4 you would want 333 ram because then you can run the memory async without overclocking so no worry of loss of stability and the p4 can use all of the bandwidth it gets from 333 not like a stock athlon...

i would suggest when you get your ram to implement the 3:4 memory divider on your abit board.

this would make your fsb 133mhz (stock) and your memory 166mhz, which will result in a much quicker responding computer.

p4's love memory bandwidth. by doing this simple tweak you can really gain alot of quickness in your applications.

EmTSea19 said:
I only have to buy a couple more items and then I can start building my system. I am having a hard time deciding which 512MB memory to buy. I was thinking of Kingston Value RAM, but they make it with Infineon chips now, and you guys say that isn't good. I like the Corsair XMS 2700 CAS2, but is that overkill?
If I am going to run my memory at default settings, then would XMS make a difference? Is it still worth it to buy?
I read good things and bad things about Samsung, Geil, OCZ, etc...Crucial seems okay. Mushkin seems to be the same as Corsair. So, which great and stable RAM does a Non-Overclocker need to have a really good system? Thanks.

Mushkin easily beats Corsair crapless but you bite it big with the price

Re: Re: Memory For The Non-Overclocker

pip said:

Mushkin easily beats Corsair crapless but you bite it big with the price
you should think before speaking.

if we are to take your precious mushkin in your sig for an example of prime mushkin performance then i would hafta say "that's it?"

my first stick of ram was mushkin pc3000. it did 210mhz cas 2.5 as the very fastest it would go.

recently got a stick of kingston valueram pc2700 and it does 218mhz cas 2 (NOT 2.5)

so are you saying my kingston ram which was significantly cheaper than your mushkin is better? you bet.

all memory is relative. (and random at times) clearly corsair has established itself from the xms pc3000 days up to current times as the sole leader in pure performance. i've seen way too many threads about their stuff not to conceed them the crown for now. are they expensive? hell yes. but aren't all things that are the fastest of their kind expensive?

food for thought.

Back