• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone know whatever became of these shrouds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SLO_N8

http://www.wc101.com/reviews/coolingworks/

Looked like nice shrouds...save me some time of makin decent ones. D-Tek's the only shrouds I know of for the chevette core that you can buy. Are there any other decent ones? Searched & can't seem to find anything but D-Tek's which I don't think look so nice & perhaps are a little overpriced :)

I'm interrested as well. The shroud is the only thing I'm not looking forward to building.

I got two of those shrouds from Erick.
They run around $30 a shroud and im not sure if he ever started making them in the masses.

Let me look for his email adress and you guys can send him some emails and tell him Adrian sent you ;).

If you want some pcs I'll look for those too.

Found it:
[email protected]
A pic from erick off procooling forums:
DSCN2580.jpg

Im wondering what is going on with it too, he said mid september they would be out.....

30$? Sheesh seems a bit pricey considering it's 1$ worth of plastic and some epoxy

bongo,

Thanks, I appreciate the help :)

I'm afraid I'll have to agree w/ Lithan here tho...for $60 I think I will make my own shrouds...or snag some from D-Tek ;)

retail price is suposed to be around 15 dollars, but you can get them in advance for 30 I guess, I have one of these things and they are SUPER nice!

The only problem I found not all Chevy Chevette heater cores are the same size. Different makers have slightly different size.

Having made many shrouds I can tell you that I seldom use the same jig for even the same brand shroud. Seems I make a new jig for every shroud I make. Granted the jigs are made of plywood, but it sure would be nice if they were even close, but if you ever installed cores in vehicles then you no that the cores do not need to be real close to the same size. Remember were all using something that was never intend to be used in our needs.

N8, i used Zip Loc sandwich containers for shrouds on mine, i got the idea from a post i saw here in the forums....cyas on the cube bud :D

JFettig,
They do look real nice, I can't argue w/ that.

DodgeViper,
Appreciate the input. I'd think you could oversize them some & make em work for just about every core? Perhaps not.

sneakyfart,
Great idea...I'll hafta look into that. Don't suppose ya got any pics do ya? Cya on the cube indeed! :)

I had to chuckle...I know all 3 of you by different names ;)

A DTek combo'd shroud will cost only $16 and that is metal, not plastic... bolts and wingnuts included. A 2nd shroud is still "only" $20.

$30 and even $15 for this homebrew plastic thingy is not a good price IMHO.

Personally I still like the look of a brass shroud on a brass core. They are permanent, will never come off unless you de-solder the corners.

Shroud%25201.jpg

I just got some emailsl back from Erick

"Hey Jon,

I had to put the shrouds on hold. I’m a Marine. I’ll be going into production as soon as this mess is over.

Erick
"

"Jon,

IMO the intent is to sell the shroud for $15 but I will be gone until this Iraq situation is over. I held off on production in anticipation that we would be gearing up to go to war. In fact it’s fortuitous that I came home for the day and got your email. I’ll email you when I get back in a few months.

Erick
"

Thanks guys. I ended up going to the dollar tree & finding those gladware containers for $1.00. Used 8 zipties to attach them & it looks pretty darn clean for $1.00 shrouds. My wife even got the leftover containers in the pack :D

I'll post back w/ a pic or 2 once i go get some more batteries...dern digicam :)

Back