• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4GB of memory on one stick.....nice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stumpjumper5200 said:
Doubt anyone here will be using the stuff, but it's nice to know how far technology's advancing :D

I don't doubt it. I just suspect that it will be about a year....

If you were designing the space shuttle in AutoCAD, with 3d and colors, animating in 3ds, and playing UT2003 all at the same time, you might need 4gig of memory. :)

Scott

dude_drew said:
thats a lot. can't you have too much memory? becuase I dont see why anything would use 4GB of mem for a few years.

I've got a project that's on hold until I can get access to a computer with at least 20GB of memory.

Itanium isn't the only 64bit processor around - those sticks could be for alot of different machines. 32-bit processors can only use 4gb max, and even then above 2gb involves some goofiness.

Intel cpus, like the Xeon, have a 36-bit addressing hack named PAE which lets them access up to 64gb of memory, though, so maybe those 8gb sticks are for Xeons even.

I'd venture to say that even the 4gb stick must be meant for some sort of 64bit (or Intel) machine. I mean, why would you need 4gb in one slot unless the others were full with even more ram?

Caffinehog said:
8 gig sticks must be for itanium. Can't 32 bit processors only use 4 gigs?

Everything since the Pentium Pro has been able to support up to 64GB of memory; however, no one program could use more than 4 GB of that memory.

Back