• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Impingement Spiral

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gulp35

looking @ This website I decide to make a design and see how people like it.

jet.jpg

In the center there is a small diameter (2-3mm) nozzle spraying down on that large drilled out area. the water then flows out of the block. A possible modification to the design would be to replace the center atrium with microchannels to improve surface area.

That's fine, but note some things:

a) the nozzle isn't meant to spray: the cone is a result of a straight nozzle, and only indicates where the water is disturbed.

b) because your outlet (from the middle area) is off to one side, the inpinged area may end up somewhere off center.

c) there is a certain distance required between the nozzle tip, and the baseplate.

d) the nozzle doesn't have a sharp edge at the outlet: it more than likely has a 10 degree taper, on the inside, as per ASTM standards (also for bell shape).

e) multiple jets are also possible.

Thanks for your input. The pics weren't made to look like the block in reality but to get the just of it.

I am also concidering a Micro Channel block and was MAYBE make two versions of it (one having an inlet of one side and an exit on the other, the other with the center inlet and 2 exits).

I am really looking for any waterblock the has the following specs:
1) I really like the one inlet one outlet Idea, and I don't want to split the flow ( a la Morphling's MicroChannel block).
2)Good, proven performance
3)Cheap and/or easy to make

bigben2k said:
That's fine, but note some things:

a) the nozzle isn't meant to spray: the cone is a result of a straight nozzle, and only indicates where the water is disturbed.

b) because your outlet (from the middle area) is off to one side, the inpinged area may end up somewhere off center.

c) there is a certain distance required between the nozzle tip, and the baseplate.

d) the nozzle doesn't have a sharp edge at the outlet: it more than likely has a 10 degree taper, on the inside, as per ASTM standards (also for bell shape).

e) multiple jets are also possible.

I'm beginning to think this jet impingment isn't going to work atleast with any measurable difference. Direct die cooling I think jets would work well. I think the base plate just gets in the way plus the jet is submerged. It's most likely a combination of jet and other technical designs (ala Cathar's block) molded together that will show promise.

gulp35 said:
Thanks for your input. The pics weren't made to look like the block in reality but to get the just of it.

I am also concidering a Micro Channel block and was MAYBE make two versions of it (one having an inlet of one side and an exit on the other, the other with the center inlet and 2 exits).

I am really looking for any waterblock the has the following specs:
1) I really like the one inlet one outlet Idea, and I don't want to split the flow ( a la Morphling's MicroChannel block).
2)Good, proven performance
3)Cheap and/or easy to make

Here is an idea you might like to try if you think you got the tools. Take your standard spiral maze design. Instead of one simple channel, use microfins starting from the center and spiraling outwards. Use a form of impingement at the center to push the water through them.

I sent an email to my dad @ work about this site (at the top of the page) to make sure it is valid. He emailed me back and said that he found that if using the sites calculator there is an error and the final answer is off by a factor of about 1000.

SysCrusher said:

I'm beginning to think this jet impingment isn't going to work atleast with any measurable difference. Direct die cooling I think jets would work well. I think the base plate just gets in the way plus the jet is submerged. It's most likely a combination of jet and other technical designs (ala Cathar's block) molded together that will show promise.

Jets (multiple) worked very well on a naked die, and also worked very well on the heatspreader on the p4, I can't see why a similar setup wouldn't work just as well with an athlon.

Volenti said:

Jets (multiple) worked very well on a naked die, and also worked very well on the heatspreader on the p4, I can't see why a similar setup wouldn't work just as well with an athlon.

I forgot all about the heat spreader. I'll keep trying

Example of variance btw. Excel Calcs. and Website for Jet Impingement.
Pr=8.027
D=.004
r=.012
H=.0127
v=.0000011
Ve=3
K=4183

Excel-------22266.98 W/m^2C
Website---165236557.250042 W/m^2K

While typing this I realized that my dad when making this didn't bother to switch from C to K. But even with that the answers shouldn't vary that much.

If any of you guys want this spreadsheet to look over email me and I'll sent it to you as an attachment.

Jet inpingement works very well; ask the Korean nuclear tech guys. Many, many links available.

It does however require a fair amount of pressure. I'm curently looking at using it for my block, but am still most puzzled with the calculations. So far, I've concentrated on one centered nozzle, but I'll be looking at using 4 smaller ones. Luckily, my design provides for a replaceable nozzle!

I've got a whole spreadsheet's worth of experimental data. I'll try to graph it sometime...

gulp35 said:
Example of variance btw. Excel Calcs. and Website for Jet Impingement.
Pr=8.027
D=.004
r=.012
H=.0127
v=.0000011
Ve=3
K=4183

Excel-------22266.98 W/m^2C
Website---165236557.250042 W/m^2K

K=4183 ?
At 20c I use K=0.599W/m*c as the thermal conductivity for water .
All other parameters look about right assuming your imput Velocity (V) is in m/s.
I do use Pr=7.02 at 20c.

The reason for the 4183 is that that is the heat capacity, my fault.
I put the correct value in and got 23227.1 so it is not as off as i showed, sorry :( . I'll talk to my dad later about this.

Back