• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper heat spreaders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if you feel your ram, and its HOT ... then it would serve a purpose. Other than that, it's just for looks.

This Geil I am using came with copper heatspreaders but they dont even get warm, so I'm saying they dont do much more than look good. Decent airflow in your case is much more important than pretty shiny memory heatspreaders ;)

They cool a little better than the TT Aluminum Ram Coolers. I would switch to them but I think that would void my Corsair warrenty :(

I had a stick of Geil PC2700 Ultra it looked really nice but it needed more than 2.9 to get anywhere. So I guess when pushing your ram over 2.8 volts these copper ramsinks would come in handy.

melon_stunner said:
They cool a little better than the TT Aluminum Ram Coolers. I would switch to them but I think that would void my Corsair warrenty :(

I had a stick of Geil PC2700 Ultra it looked really nice but it needed more than 2.9 to get anywhere. So I guess when pushing your ram over 2.8 volts these copper ramsinks would come in handy.

I can get this particular stick of Geil to do more than the Corsair in your SIG at default voltage, actually undervolted thx to Abit, and yes I am as surprised as you about it. I only bought this stick so I could say Geil sux, but I cant say it ;)

LOL that's what I run at normally I'm 100% sure I can get it to 455 on 2.5 volts my cpu cooling isn't too good though. Nevertheless, I bought my stick for $79.99 so I'm happy with my stick regardless.

melon_stunner said:
LOL that's what I run at normally I'm 100% sure I can get it to 455 on 2.5 volts my cpu cooling isn't too good though. Nevertheless, I bought my stick for $79.99 so I'm happy with my stick regardless.

I paid $105 for a 512mb pc3200ultra stick from Newegg refurb ;)

Silversinksam said:

I paid $105 for a 512mb pc3200ultra stick from Newegg refurb ;)

GEIL has been bringing some good ram to the table I almost bought some but was not willing to risk issues I have read with my Epox board.

Cisco Kid

Personally, though nothing against you but some sticks of Geil memory really f*$%ing suck a$$. Unless, you buy the top of the line Geil, which you did in your case, everything else is going to be sh*t or near sh*t. My PC2700 ultra stick was a rebaged stick of PC2100 Samsung and no wonder they void your warrenty if you take off the heatsinks b/c they don't use their own ram in ALL their sticks of memory. I'm just warning all you that are thinking about sticks of Geil or OCZ. "You get what you pay for."

no need to go out and buy mem sinks or copper heat spreaders unless u are heavily o/cing the ram

my ocsystem memory doesn't get hot. i can even see huge gaps between the tape and the chips. to bad the life time warranty is void if i remove it. i guess they don't want me to find out what kind of chips they are using.

Back