• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to lap a WB???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hc1001

im new to the idea of lapping and was wondering which grit of dry/wet sandpaper am i suppose to use for a mirror shine? where can i find this at? hardware store? thx...

hc1001 said:
im new to the idea of lapping and was wondering which grit of dry/wet sandpaper am i suppose to use for a mirror shine? where can i find this at? hardware store? thx...

When I lap a block this is the path I follow: 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and on a rare occasion 2000 grit. 2000 is probably overkill, I haven't really seen any better results at this level than if I stopped at 1500 it just gets a little briter.
I get my paper at Home Depot or Lowes although any hardware should have it automotive supply stores will carry it too. If you strike out at all of these places for some strange reason go to your nearest auto body shop and see if they have a few sheets that they will sell you cheap, you don't need much.
When you lap your block just make sure you have a perfectly flat surface like a mirror or slab of marble, etc. to lay the paper and block on while lapping.
Good luck! :)

First if you don't lap properly, you may make the block worse. Swiftech blocks and the White Water block should really not be lapped as they are already very good, others sometimes can benefit from lapping. The idea behind lapping is to get the base FLAT, a mirror finish is NOT the goal. In fact, I would not use anything higher than 800 grit paper, 600 grit being optimal.

Like what was said above, you don't need to go any higher than 600, at most 800. If you find your sanding with the same piece of sand paper for a long time, you may need to drop down to a lower one. I usually start with something under 400, then 400, then 600grit

I have always gotten better results doing as mustangman said. I use 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and go as far as doing a final rub with T-cut for that high polished shine.
shiny.gif

Back