• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I know that this mobo will support Tualatins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

I have been looking at the Gigabyte 6VTXD Dual Socket 370 motherboard for awhile now, and I can probably get some 1.2 for pretty cheap. Would this motherboard support FC-PGA chips? Sorry, Im an amd guy, and dont know alot about intel. Thanks.

Also, the manufacturer doesnt say what kind of ram. Like ECC, or just regular. Could I use 1.5 gigs of regular pc133 ram in it? This post is also a clever disguise as a bump for the question before. ;) thanks.

That processor you linked to was a PIII, not a PIII-S, and will not work in a dual processor configuration. PIII-S processor are available at 1.13, 1.26, and 1.40 speeds.

- JW

It has to be a PIII-S, not a regular PIII. The correct chips will have 512k of L2 cache.

- JW

Bear in mind that this is an Apollo Pro (Via 694T) chipset board. The T revision added the cpu support you are wanting, but it's still the same old junk 694x performance. Truly abysmal memory performance will prevent this from being a high performance platform. But I realize that actual function often gets sacrificed in the rush to embrace SMP rigs :). i815 and i440BX outperform this chipset handily, by a large enough percentage to eclipse the benefit of SMP for all but the tasks most responsive to SMP technology.

Hmmm, thanks for the invo larva... I do want to get into SMP, but since you have given me that little bit of info, I might just wait and save up for an AMD smp platform.

I think that would be wise. The 694 is an underachieving chipset, and the lack of memory throughput can only cripple you more as you have two cpu's to feed with data. I would either think about a BP6 Abit (440BX) or the AMD route you mentioned. I assume BP6's can be made to work with P4-S's, but you might want to spend some time in the SMP section of the forum and get a better feel for what the viable and cost effective solutions look like.

I don't think I have to tell you I'm not a big SMP fan, only certain tasks really respond to it. Be sure you are realistic about what your uses for the machine include and how responsive those tasks are to SMP. It may be better to put the money into something like a HT P4, or perhaps just an evil fast Tbred B or non HT P4 rig.

Back