• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got a Maxi 1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shroomer

member with no avatar
Tried it out in the sink since I don't have a full rig yet. My god! It's way more powerful than my old pump that I used to use when I first tried watercooling. Very strong. I just hope that it is ideed watertight.

thanks for the info... After taking the imeller housing off, there really isn't much to stop it from leaking. I'll use the silicone for sure.

if you ever get a 600gph pump... DO NOT TRY IT OUT IN THE SINK.... ive learned from experience :D

Heh... I would assume that after the maxi-jet experience. I had just enough water for t to be just submerged and it created quite a wave. It also had enough suction to create a little "tornado" of sorts bringing in air from the surface. Quite a spectacular site. I can't wait to use it. Hopefully next weekend (crosses fingers).

you dont need silicone, I have NEVER had problems with EITHER of my 2 maxijets leaking, I dont get how yours leaked? did you take the Oring off or something? put the housing on rong? I just dont get how it leaked... these pumps are really dang powerful! if you wanna have some fun, grab a 5gallon pail, fill it with water, stick a few feet of 3/8 hose on the pump and a 3/8 hosebarb(1/4ID and turn it on, Itll shoot really far:) talk about a jet:)

Jon

The only way the Maxi-Jet leaks is if you put undue pressure on the pump nose...trust me...I've gotten mine to leak.

If its leaking, you're doing something wrong.

OOHHHH! Now I see the O-ring. Cool. Like I said. I'm in the home stretch now. Hopefully will be done next weekend. If not, should be the week after.

JFettig said:
you dont need silicone, I have NEVER had problems with EITHER of my 2 maxijets leaking, I dont get how yours leaked? did you take the Oring off or something? put the housing on rong? I just dont get how it leaked... these pumps are really dang powerful! if you wanna have some fun, grab a 5gallon pail, fill it with water, stick a few feet of 3/8 hose on the pump and a 3/8 hosebarb(1/4ID and turn it on, Itll shoot really far:) talk about a jet:)

Jon

I dont appreciate you calling me stupid. It leaked all by itself. You certainly dont have your facts straight. Its not like I made this up buddy. Others have had problems:

" Had a Maxi Jet 1000 and found out it likes to leak, round the turning head + also through the so called water tight skin surrounding the power cord. be warned! Got myself an Eheim 1048 now and it's quieter than the maxi jet and i personally saw an improvement in temps.

MDA.

And no i didnt "put the housing on rong". The pumps come pre-assembled. Of course you should know that since you apparently owned 2 of them.

Yes the pumps are powerful, and thats why I bought it. But I dont see much fun in filling a bucket with water..

You may not have directly caused the leak, but like I mentioned above, if there was undue stress on the nose of the pump to cause the seal to even be slightly compremised, it'll leak.

nico3k - fix that do not try anything over 350 in bathroom sink and nothing over 500 in kitchen. wow i would call that an indoor giesure.(ive seen it, tried it i mean oooppsss.. :)

clash said:

I think you missed where I refrenced that from clash.

And yes I have a hose clamp on the nose and its quite tight..so its possible that I may be somewhat responsible for it leaking..but honestly, I dont think using a hose clamp on it should result in leaking at a seal. Look im just trying to help people out. I positioned my pump so it wont leak on my components..but are you really going to take the chance and not seal it before installation. If someone thinks im full of it then i guess they can take their chances.. But others who would rather be safe then sorry might take the smart route and seal the head before installing..its not like its difficult.

I dont think your full of it, Im just thinking there is probably another cause, but I cannot be sure,
and no I didnt ever call you stupid...

Just a note... When I put my barb on the inlet and a bit of 1/2" vinyl braided tubing the flow rate was noticably less. Of course I did expect a bit of flow loss from this, though.

Here is a pic with the fitting I put on it. It fits great!
It's a big, ugly pic though. Be warned.

http://home.woh.rr.com/shroomer/pump.jpg

It's 3/4" Mpt to 1/2" barb. It was almost tight enough to not use goop, but I did anyway. It was REALLY hard to pull off when I went to glue it.

Shroomer said:
Just a note... When I put my barb on the inlet and a bit of 1/2" vinyl braided tubing the flow rate was noticably less. Of course I did expect a bit of flow loss from this, though.

Looking into the inlet, the hub for the impeller shaft on the Maxi-Jet 900/1200 takes up a decent portion of the inlet. That's why I avoided the barb route altogether and built this res that fits over the inlet instead. Based on an unscientific sink test (IOW an unwanted shower + flooded kitchen floor) there's no loss of flow with this res.

I just put my maxi-jet in a res. It has been working great. They are cheap which is nice too.

I'm leak testing right now and I'm leaking right on the outlet, is that normal? I'm not leaking on the swivel head. I'm just getting drops from the tubing connected to the outlet. What do I need to do?

did you put a hose clamp on the tubing? you have to get that on there right and it wont leak at all,

if you have a clamp, do you have a correct size one? plastic or metal?

Back