• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would your ideal board have, and how much would you pay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BaldHeadedDork

-Intel 845PE chipset
-Full option BIOS including memory dividers and PCI/AGP locks, and accurate voltage and temperature sensors.
-High quality caps.
-No onboard sound. Either do this right with a current generation audio chipset or stay home.
-Onboard Intel 10/100 LAN.
-No serial ATA. Maybe next time.
-Legacy ports on the I/O panel for peripherals I know will work.
-Two USB 2.0 ports and a Bluetooth receiver for peripherals I want to work.
-Board outlets for six additional USB2.0 outlets, at least two Firewire outlets, and a universal portable media (Smart Media/Compact Flash/Memory Stick) port.
-Slot bracket outlet for four USB2.0 outlets.
-3.5" bay box for USB, Firewire and portable media memory ports, LCD for displaying BIOS temperature readings. Make it so the bezel can be easily removed for painting, too.
-Five PCI, one AGP, no ACR. Two system memory slots. And make sure I can change memory without removing the video card.
-Real IDE RAID. A dual channel version of the setup on the Adaptec 2400A RAID card would do nicely, including the seperate memory channel on the board for the RAID processor and cache.
-Finally, a red PCB with red slots like the Iwill P4HT or black with white like the Intel Blue Mountain 2.

Price? $125 w/o RAID, $200 with it.

Anyone else got a wish list?

BHD

Last edited:
-Springdale chipset (its right around the corner, and its the only reason I don't buy a PE-based board now)
-SATA RAID (as long as support for SATA is built into the chipset)
-IDE RAID (for legacy support)
-AGP 8x (for the future)
-"Full option BIOS including memory dividers and PCI/AGP locks, and accurate voltage and temperature sensors" (I agree with this wholeheartedly)
-USB2.0 and Firewire ports
-Five PCI ports with the first one not being rendered unusable by the AGP video card fan
-four RAM slots (for flexibililty since we are dealing with dual-channel DDR)

Price: $150

Back