• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pumps, Waterblocks and NOISE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blueacid

Three main points:

One:
I'm considering either the Eheim 1048 or the 1250.
The 1048 is cheaper than the 1250, for obvious reasons (lower power)

Would I notice any significant performance difference if I were to use the 1048 instead of the 1250 - since I save £20 if I order the 1048.

I'm not all that concerned over a celci or two, but if the difference is likely to be over 5c, then tell me please :)

Two:
This is sweet and to the point,
Is it any good?

BTW, if the link doesn't work, the Waterblock in question is the Maxxxpert Miro one.
If I buy it, It will cost me £40 (that is about $60 methinks)

If it's no good, could you point me in the direction of a better one, please. I have an AMD system, if it helps when it comes to identifying a WB. (I'm going to go copper in this system as well - I am already aware of the unhappy duo that is Copper and Aluminium)

Three:
Overall, how loud is your watercooled system when finished?
Are the pumps noisy, buzzy things, or do they just hum (or somewhere in between).

Does the change from 80 to 120 mm make that much of a difference, or will my system still sound like an aeroplane?

If any of you guys could shed some light onto any of my three main queries (concerns (headaches :D)) then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

ImG

*EDIT* added bold bits to make my post easier on the eye.

One: Depends on how many blocks in the loop. If just a CPU block, the 1048 will be fine however, more head from the 1250 won't hurt but I doubt you'll see a very noticeable difference. If multiple blocks are used, get the 1250.

Two: That block is not very good. Look into the atlantis, maze 3, or the White Water. Here is a site in the UK with the atlantis: http://www.overclockedpc.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=38_22&products_id=111

Three: An H20 system is only as loud as the fans. If you use quiet 120mm fans like Panaflo L1A's, your system will be very quiet, if you use fast 150CFM fans, your system will be loud. I have used the 1048 and the 1250 and both are silent, you won't even hear them. If you mount them on the floor of the case, Just cut up an old mouse pad to lay under the pump.

1. It really depends on the other components in your system. An easy way (if somewhat inaccurate) to do this would be to just contact your waterblock manufacturer and ask them if their blocks perform better under high or low flow setups. That being said, I don't think you could go terribly wrong with either Eheim--especially if you only plan on cooling your CPU.

2. Wish I could help you out bro, but I've never seen that particular block before :(.

3. Most WC setups are substantially less noisy than their heatsink cooled counterparts. A pump's vibration makes a negligible amount of noise--especially if you set it up with foam or other noise absorbing material.

I have an Ehiem 1048 running my Maze 3 and GPu block and its fine! I have modded a Ystech 120mm 139cfm to 7v for my Heatercore and have 4 80mm 7v fans in my case, all together they produce nothing asbove 25dba. Temps are from 25c -32c depending on ambient temps.

MDA.

Cheers all!

Okay... I'm going to go with the 1048 - since it'll only be the CPU (and maybe a GPU waterblock later on) on the rig - and it will all be enclosed.

*Searching for alternate WBs...*

method().man said:
... An easy way (if somewhat inaccurate) to do this would be to just contact your waterblock manufacturer and ask them if their blocks perform better under high or low flow setups...
One myth BillA has shattered is that ALL water blocks perform better with more flow - There is no such thing as a block performing BETTER with a LOWER flowrate...

nikhsub1 said:

One myth BillA has shattered is that ALL water blocks perform better with more flow - There is no such thing as a block performing BETTER with a LOWER flowrate...

Hmm, you learn something new everyday :). *Goes to read article*

Back