• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR and Dual DDR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

What is the difference? I have 768mb of DDR PC2100 right now. Toms Hardware guide says DDR and DDR-Dual are both called PC2100. Does this mean I can use my memory on a new board that supports DDR-Dual, or do I have to buy DDR-Dual memory?:confused:

dual ddr is a motherboard feature not a ram feature. it uses 2 controllers to increase memory bandwidth. you can use any ddr ram in dual channel configuration, i think they just have to be the same size and run at the same timings.

Cool, that's what I was hoping. I just want to get a new mobo and chip, quickest and cheapest way for a system upgrade.

trenchypost said:
I have a vague recollection of reading something that dual ddr will have greater effect on P4 systems than on Athlons, due to the limitations on the bandwidth.

Good because I was planning on getting a P4.

All I know is that an Asus board with Dual-DDR added to it is about $150 more than one without it. So I'm curious to hear from anyone that has Dual-DDR or has seen a bench on it.

I'll bench mine later today after I get back from the store. Im currently running it dual ddr at 400mhz in sync with the fsb, and with aggressive timings.

Back