• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A BIG Corsair ATTABOY!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Larry Quinn

I have now informed my wife that she has permission to SMACK ME the next time I buy any other brand of ram other than Corsair!

I've tried to save a few dollars SOOO MANY TIMES...and have always been let down by the results!

Every single stick of Corsair I have bought has exceeded my expectations.

My latest stick of XMS 512meg PC3500 proves this yet again!

215 mhz FSB 2.7 Volts FASTEST POSSIBLE SETTINGS AND CL2.0

Take my word for it....spend the extra $...

With this stuff you do indeed get what you pay for!!!!!

I know there is more in there...given the speed at only 2.7 volts!

Time will tell how far it can go!

KUDOS to Corsair!

Larry

Once you go Corsair, it's hard to look at any other brand seriously, IMO. Ever since I tried out a 512mb stick of Corsair's XMS 3200 C2 and hit 205fsb with default volts at fastest timings.. I too was amazed and extremely satisfied. I let that stick go, then I picked up a 512mb stick of Corsair XMS 3500 C2 Platinum. Can't wait to try it out (ran it in a 8RDA+, sold that board, waiting for 8K5a2+ to arrive with other little goodies).

Larry Quinn said:
I have now informed my wife that she has permission to SMACK ME the next time I buy any other brand of ram other than Corsair!

I've tried to save a few dollars SOOO MANY TIMES...and have always been let down by the results!

Every single stick of Corsair I have bought has exceeded my expectations.

My latest stick of XMS 512meg PC3500 proves this yet again!

215 mhz FSB 2.7 Volts FASTEST POSSIBLE SETTINGS AND CL2.0

Take my word for it....spend the extra $...

With this stuff you do indeed get what you pay for!!!!!

I know there is more in there...given the speed at only 2.7 volts!

Time will tell how far it can go!

KUDOS to Corsair!

Larry
Don't mean to rain on the parade, I too like Corsair but, your 3500 should do 217FSB CL2 with only 2.5V... That is the spec and how it is tested have you tried it with voltage at 2.5V?

Re: Re: A BIG Corsair ATTABOY!

nikhsub1 said:

Don't mean to rain on the parade, I too like Corsair but, your 3500 should do 217FSB CL2 with only 2.5V... That is the spec and how it is tested have you tried it with voltage at 2.5V?

actually, i think corsair states on their page that it may take up to 2.8v to run at the speeds they list

Actually What I mean to say by fastest is that I'm running at 2-2-2-5-T1 !!!!!!

And I never even considered 2.5 volts as being possible at that speed and 215 MHZ.

I will try it tonight.

It is running at their advertised Low Latency spec.

It has been crunching SETI for 1 day without problems!

Larry

Yeah I bought some Geil for my AT7 Max2 and one of the 512's was bad. The other would only run at DDR266. This was DDR3200!

I reached deep and got 2 sticks of CMX512-3500C2 and viola the mobo is seeing DDR400 now. The price difference was $80 for the Gig og RAM.

The rumors are true, Corsair is the way to go.

ive posted my results around and rather similier to these also.really nice stuff i admit.but one thing ill point out besides how well it works is there warrenty and rma service.

i havent had the grief of going threw it but from the people ive talked to that have its as good as neweggs service.fast and no hassles and like less than a week turn around.

that in its self is enough to keep me as a customer.i need to buy another stick of 256mb next week and rest assured newegg will be selling another xms3500C2!

I'll just chime in here..

I've bought gigs of memory in the past.. just about every brand you can imagine.. I recently bought my first stick of 512MB XMS 3500.. two weeks later, I bought another.

Corsair is THE BEST memory, period. It's worth every single penny and no one will ever convince me otherwise (unless Corsair goes down the crapper for some reason!)

I just bought some myself. It will be in on monday, I can't wait to try it out. I also have tried many different types of ram (Including Nanyo that maxed out at 150fsb) and by the remarks everyone makes about Cosair, I have no doubt it will be the best I ever used.

I just got a new Corsair 3500C2 512 MB from googlegear. It says version 1.1 in an unsealed plastic case. Is unsealed case normal for such a high price Corsair memory?

To my surprise, it performs way below spec and expectation. My A7N8X can run up to 217 MHz (6-3-3-2.5) and 211 MHz (6-3-3-2) 24/7 stable with another memory stick (different brand). They cannot blame on my system, FSB and setup.

The Corsair 3500C2 I got crashes 3D mark 2001 above 195 MHz and XP crashes/reboot randomly at anything above 202 MHz. Memtest86 gives 7000+ errors at memory speed 217 MHz 7-3-3-2 (stock frequency and timing). Even at lower frequency, a few pass of memtest86 will give random errors. Increase Vram won't help.

I got Corsair hoping to squeeze the last % of memory BW, and apparently this is a very bad stick and choice given its premium price (50% more $ for 10% performance gain, even if it works according to spec). Now I have to work on return/RMA/refund (what a hassle), and don't know what/when the replacement will be?

The stick is bought brand new from googlegear, I don't know why and how such bad stick was not caught by Corsair/googlegear quality control? How often does this happen?

Last edited:
id suggest going threw corsair directly unless googlegear will replace on the spot.as im told corsair has less than 1 week turn around time and is hassle free. so you got a bad stick it happens.

it sux none the ss i agree but had the been any other brand it would be an impending nightmare ahead.

i know the corsair has higher fsb ratings on the 3500 but remember it is still only pc3200 thats oced.mabey it just dont like your exact mobo who knows.but it doesnt meet the speed ratings and i highly doubt corsair will do nothing but suprise and please you with what happens next.

I picked Corsair for a bit of guarantee in case of bad stick. But still surprise me that such bad stick can slip thru their "hand pick testing and quality control". But requesting RMA, sending back, waiting for replacement is more like a 2-3 week turn-around time plus shipment cost, ...

Because of this situation, I begin to question whether paying such premium for Corsar for 10% gain is a good idea.

Corsair RAM GUY says basically the 3500C2 and 3200LL are the same thing (except the SPD). So they both are based on same chip (windbond 5ns I guess). So the 3500C2 is just overclocked and "hand pick" module. Actually my bad 3500C2 just barely meets the 200 MHz 6-2-2-2 timing.

I don't know how they hand-pick them. If they just test it at 200 MHz 6-2-2-2 and claim it as 3500C2, then many 3500C2 will have a hard time meeting the 217 MHz spec, unless they assume users won't be able to clock at that speed with the MB (AMD). I don't want to get anything less than 217 MHz -3-3-2 @2.5V when buying a 3500C2.

Last edited:
I think it is undesirable (risky ?) to buy those high performance, leading edge 3500, 3700 memory sticks, especially the high price ones with 30-50% more money for the last few % of 3D and game performance. If you can get cheaper price is fine.

You may not even be able to prove whether the memory is working at stock frequency at such high frequency. Even the memory is defeative and way below spec, you need to prove that it is not the problem of the MB to the supplier. You'd need the time, skill and other good parts to diagnose that memory is the problem, otherwise you/they would blame it on the MB and you will get stuck with the bad memory module.

1. If you can overclock them by 10%, you'll very happy
2. If it only makes it to the stock frequency and voltage, you probably won't be so happy but you cannot complain neither
3. If it is 1 MHz off spec, you have to convince the vendor, ... to PROVE that it is not your system, MB, CPU's problem for RMA, return, ...
4. If it is defeative, ... you still have to prove that the stick is bad and not your system and MB's fault

Then requesting RMA, shipping it back, waiting replacement, ... would take you 2-3 weeks, plus shiping cost; or eat the 15% restocking fee. After receiving the replacement, go back to step 1, and hope you can get a good one and the RMA cycle would end.

It would be nice if retail stores carry those memory, it would make return of defective and under-spec memory much easier.

Buying high price memory for 10% performance is not worth it. Just like most would not buy a Tbred 2800+/3000+, but rather a 1800+ or 2100+ to oc than the high price one for 10% gain.

Last edited:
Wait, Your having stability over 202FSB, I the same accept I use different memory I have Geil 3700. Now That i've found someone else, I may be thinking that it's the Chipset voltage that may be limiting us. There is a supposed Bios hack for the chipset that will allow you to up it's voltage making more FSB stable. Basically we're under volting our northbridge. Maybe thats the problem, Take your stick and stick it in someone else computah that can go over 200fsb. You may have a good stick and just bad luck of the draw board.

Do you mean me, cannot go above 202 MHz?

My MB can go as high as 211 MHz (6-3-3-2) stable, ... with another memory stick (see sig). It can go even 217 MHz (6-3-3-2.5)

I tried to improve timing and got a brand new Corsair 3500C2. When I put the Corsair in, it is 20 MHz below spec and thousands of memory errors with memtest86. That stick is bad even it is brand new, high quality Corsair "hand picked, tested" module. I don't know why and how it was shipped to me.

If I haven't tested the MB indpendently with another good memory stick at 211-217 MHz. The supplier would blame it on the MB, since they would say the MB cannot run at that high speed in SYNC mode.

If one buy/use high price, high performance memory at high FSB, one should know how high the MB FSB can go first BEFORE dumping money to those high price memory modules and just hoping it would work.

Last edited:
Back