• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Homemade waterblock question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhiteHawk

im getting 1/4" inch thick copper for the base of my waterblock and i am going to cut microchannels into it. how thin is/can the base be after milling?

WhiteHawk said:
im getting 1/4" inch thick copper for the base of my waterblock and i am going to cut microchannels into it. how thin is/can the base be after milling?

I wouldn't go no more than 2mm unless you have an idea to help support the base from warping from just clamping down on the die.

WhiteHawk said:
ok now what is an o-ring and how are some ways i can attach my wb to the mobo?

hmmmm. An o-ring is round circular black ring. Look in the water block gallery and you will see some in there. I don't know how to explain it better. I don't care for the 0-rings. I like to use a rubber gasket. In my opinion is alot better at sealing, less prone to stressing and doesn't require any milling. With an o-ring you have to cut the notch in the block to hold the o-ring which I wouldn't do without access to a mill.

You could devise some kind of clamp using the socket lugs but in my opinion that is more trouble and not worth the effort. Some people here use that approach with desirable results. I use the four mounting holes in the motherboard which is alot stronger, less prone to shifting, will not break the socket lugs and better contact to the die surface if done properly. Just drill four 3/16 holes on the corners of the block that match the mounting holes on the motherboard exactly and your set.

yea thats what i was going to do but im worried about how far to screw it into the mobo and crushing the core

WhiteHawk said:
yea thats what i was going to do but im worried about how far to screw it into the mobo and crushing the core

It's simple really. I was worried about that my first time also. If you hold the block up there using the center barb and steady, just turn your thumb screws on all four till they just touch the block. Then start from on corner, and alternate to the corner opposite of that one, turning one turn each time till there finger tight. I use 1.5 inch 6 /32 bolts with 2 nylon spacers and one nut for each bolt. The nut keeps the bolts nice and tight so you don't need a screw driver. Then get you some nice brass thumb nuts for a nice touch.

As long as you have the block sitting even on the die before you tighten it down and your not superman finger tightening nuts you'll be ok.

Back