• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling for quiet PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob63

Registered
I'm thinking about watercooling my system ( P4 2.66 Intel HSF, Radeon 9700 pro). The main object is to create a quiet PC. I'd also like to OC, nothing to extreme, if I can push it as far as I can with stock cooling I'd be happy. So I'll stop prattling on and get to my questions. Lets say I WC the CPU and the Vid, do I/can I ?
a) dump all or some of the 4 case fans (2 in , 2 out),
b) need to WC the north bridge also (currently passively cooled)
c) need to WC a hard drive.

As an aside I currently have 3 20GB HDs, so if the answer to c) is yes I'd rather go with a new larger single HD and cooler rather then try to cool 3 hds. With this in mind can anyone recommend a good 80 - 200 GB drive. I've heard great things about the WD SE's, but I've also heard they there really loud.

Ok~ the point of my system is this~
SILENCE
I have a 120mm IN and a 120mm OUT at 5v (panaflo MI1)
Also i have a 80mm panaflo OUT at 5v
And i have a 80mm panaflo LIA at 5v on my video card (awaiting WB)
Im using a BIE 2.0 ehime 1048, maze 3 and soon a GF4 wb
I would get 1 harddrive, mabey a seagate or a WD SE
80% of noise after watercooling is the harddrive, the rest is air moving.

You can hear the HD over all those fans, Spyder? I see from your sig it's a Seagate- not the cuda IV series, is it?

Ahhhh, yes, a quiet pc. That's why I watercool, dont'cha know. If you really do want QUIET:
a) For sure. Kick em all out!!! I've had no problems with using no case fans.
b) That's a good question. I myself WC my NB, but I also find that's it's by no means a must. I'd skip this for now, and if you find that later it's getting too warm, shell out the $40.
c) Depends on the HD. I've been VERY pleased with the Seagate Barracuda IV (or V now? I'd check it out) series- run very cool (just barely warm to the touch after hours of running in a closed case with ZERO air flow), and are so much quieter than my old WDs I couldn't even believe it.

Assuming you watercool: the noise from your HSF & GPU HSF are taken care of. This leaves your PSU (Panaflo L1A @ 7volts works wonders), the pump (insulate), and your method of cooling off the water. I'd look into a passive rad of sorts; I run that 1 panaflo in my PSU and that's it- I find it loud. I can't even imagine 2 120 fans cooling down a HC.

I have a similar set of PC components. I'm using an Eheim 1250 pump->Dtek Heatercore with 7v Papst 120mm fan->Danger Den CPU block->Danger Den VGA block

You can probably get better blocks (I have DD Maze 2) such as the White Water one and DD Maze 3.

I replaced my old hard drive with a Seagate Barracuda IV type. It is very quiet indeed!

I also use a couple of 80mm fans at 7v for the case (they are silent as a result) and overall my computer is now very quiet. There is a faint hum from the pump, mainly I think because it is transmitting vibrations to some cables which are touching it (small case!) but if you put some foam pad under the pump and make sure nothing is touching it, it is silent. The 120mm fan makes only a little noise in a completely silent room (I can hear outdoor sounds over it though) but you could also try an 80mm fan with a shroud which should make it practically silent.

It's probably a good idea to have at least one or two small fans to help move air out of your case because the ram on the radeon does get quite hot and you'll also have heat from the hard disks to deal with. I don't know how to watercool hard disks :(

Well, I run fanless, well, I used to anyway.

I watercool my CPU, NB and GFX card.

My CPU is not in a case, so the HDDs are fine passive. I use a large rad, passive again.

At the moment, I run one fan, a papst at 5v in my PSU, and thats it.

I aim for silence and its very possible.

I get high temps ( 55 under load ) from a mildly overclocked XP 1600 @ 1800 Mhz 2.0V, but its stable, and that all that matters, I can't get any higer, even if the CPU is at 35 load, with a huge fan on the rad.

PM me for system pics and any help you might need, I'd be happy to help.

Last word : Its worth it, getting a Pc where you can't tell if its on or not is great :)

Back