• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4PE on-board LAN problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drdoug26

Hi all,

I just bought a Asus P4PE with the on board LAN. (Intel Chipset 845PE) I've down loaded the latest drivers (BroadCom 4401 Fast ethernet controler) for it but yet I can not get it work properly.

Its SUPER slow on our network and on the internet. (download time to www.asus.com is 45 seconds versus 2 seconds on the other workstations on our network.)

I disabled the on-board LAN and put in a NETGEAR FA311 card and the problem was solved.

Does the on board LAN just suck or is there something wrong on the motherboard????? I'd like to get it working for I'm building it for someone and did not put the extra NIC into the budget.

Any Ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Doug G.

Hello, I've got the same motherboard with the same problem. In Windows XP's Device Manager the onboard LAN controller has a yellow exclamation point and the error:

Code 10 Device Cannot Start

The vendor told me to try to obvious: reinstall/update driver, check for IRQ/resource conflicts, make sure motherboard isn't being shorted by the case, but there's nothing wrong.

I've updated the MB's BIOS as well but that didn't fix anything.

A couple weeks ago I came across a post on another board where the guy returned the MB and the vendor verified that the onboard Broadcom controller was bad. Maybe they've got a bad batch out there?

Please let me know if you end up fixing it somehow though.

Thanks.

The 10/100 Broadcom on my board works great. It sounds like you guys have faulty examples. It should and can work as you would expect it to.

Back