• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use 2 PSU's seperatly. 1 for devices, other for MOBO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spidey

Registered
Trying to stabalize my system. On first boot-up of the day she locks up on the windows 98 screen. Press reset, start it in safe mode, restart, and she comes up fine. I think with the drives cold, it draws just enough more wattage to cause a problem.
I want to run 2 PSU's seperate from each other.
Can this be done?

Sure ya can, there were links on how to run 2 atx PS but not sure what sites, I run an AT power supply for fans CD's let the main ATX run HD's and cpu fan

Spidey (Apr 16, 2001 10:11 a.m.):
Trying to stabalize my system. On first boot-up of the day she locks up on the windows 98 screen. Press reset, start it in safe mode, restart, and she comes up fine. I think with the drives cold, it draws just enough more wattage to cause a problem.
Can this be done?

Go under the post and look for this topic "Computer restarts on its own"

rocknindy (Apr 16, 2001 10:52 a.m.):
Sure ya can, there were links on how to run 2 atx PS but not sure what sites, I run an AT power supply for fans CD's let the main ATX run HD's and cpu fan

Thats exactly what im doing. For my "budget" pc im building im running the cel 400,mobo,cd rom, HD ext on the 250W ATX. All the Fans and anything else will be run on a 200W AT. Im not wireing them up together. Just flip on the Fan PS then flip on the cpu PS. Kinda crude but it should work.

Can this be done?
This may not be your PSU. I don't have my A+ book handy but I remember reading that it has to do with your bios and how you have your drive seek set up. The drive does not spin up quickly enough and the system may not be able to read it right away. Second time it works because the drive reached an acceptable RPM. If I can locate the entry in the book I'll try and remember to post the details.

seabhac may have a point, try setting your hard drive seek bios setting or similar setting to be longer, this may solve everything, and for free!

seabhac (Apr 16, 2001 04:41 p.m.):
Can this be done?
This may not be your PSU. I don't have my A+ book handy but I remember reading that it has to do with your bios and how you have your drive seek set up. The drive does not spin up quickly enough and the system may not be able to read it right away. Second time it works because the drive reached an acceptable RPM. If I can locate the entry in the book I'll try and remember to post the details.

It is in the bios settings you can give your HD delays in seconds to let them spinn up to speed before they are seeked

Looked thru my bios. Nothing to that effect in there anywhere.

I'm runnin the asus A7V 133 raid if that makes any difference.
Actually thought it might have something to do with raid but I checked and it is not enabled.
Hmmmm.

Well, There's a really easy way that I have used to run a 2nd PSU: put a switch(SPST works just fine) connecting pins 14 and 15 on the ATX power connextor. This lets you switch it on and off at will, and is not nearly as difficult as the burning issues mod, although it is based on the ideas presented in their article(I'm really not very patient, and it takes forever to get to radio shack in my town, so I improvise).

Back