• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit and onboard RAID, fail?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Just wondering what are the chances of these onboard RAID failing with the Abit mainboards?
My SA6R gives me blue screens of death when I use the RAID feature. Its now disabled and im using the standard IDE connecters.
When I repair my BX133 I am hoping the RAID will work since I have never used it before in an array but only for a single disk. Im looking forwards to high speed harddrive.

Any piece of electronic hardware can fail. What does the BSOD attribute the failure to? Does it mention file system files? What o/s are you running?

WinXP pro

I can't remmember. Something about a unbootable disk volume, just when trying to load into XP. Then there was a different one when I was running mark2k that it could not access disk.

When you say you are using the standard ide connector, is it with the same drive? If it is, did you have the Raid driver loaded? And did you have all 3 boot devices in bios set to ATA raid?

There is something wrong with the high point chip since the friend I got the board off had run RAID 0 for a year then it just started giving out the BSOD at any given moment. Hardrives are OK
My harddrives are brand new. I use two seperate 80 pin cables on IDE 3 and IDE 4, they have been added to the mainboard to run the onboard high point 370 when the board was made. The standard IDE connectors are not RAID capable(IDE 1 and IDE 2). Yes all ATA RAID selected in BIOS. There was no chance of loading any updated driver since I was unable to boot into WinXP pro. Windows XP pro has a High Point driver built into the system anyway and can handle RAID. Windows XP pro even loads up a High point 370 driving during repair mode.

The bottom line is the High Point 370 chip on my SA6R is faulty.

What I need to know is how common is this?

Are you sure this is not a compatibility issue with your HDDs?
Some users are experiencing the same problems (unmountable boot device error) when using the onboard HighPoint ATA133 capable controller with an ATA133 capable drive (AFAIK only Maxtor HDDs are ATA133 compatible).

regards

R.

I think its only ATA100 chip. I got 2 Seagate Barracuda's IV 60gb 7200. The maxtors 7200 60gb were $10 NZ dollars cheaper, I should of brought 2 of those instead at $219 NZ dollars each, since I am now using the same brand as my friends hard drives he had on the board.

The worst part was I lost everthing from my IBM 30gb deskstar 7200 and didnt get a chance to ghost it before my partition disappeared from the disk. I have tryed everything to get the data off. In the end I have most likely killed it since I put it in the frezzer then started it up with ice all over it then banged it with my fist out of bitter frustation. It didnt sound to good. But if I re-format it I think theres still a chance that it may work. Even though I don't cause I know the data is still there, well most of it.
Before it died sometimes it would make 4 scraping sounds followed by 2 clicks every now and then, last week or so it did that cycle endlessy locking up on boot to winXP and I would get this message about 20 times with the system file names at the end of the string:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\[file name]

I bet my IBM was ok hardware wise since I have now had this message with my new Seagate. I just safe mode it(since it got that far) and it worked fine during the next reboot. Im not sure maybe the bad caps on my SA6R and BX133 are causing my disks to corrupt? I have now used both boards and have had this happen.

With the IBM at first the partition was still there and I was able to re-install winXP over it somehow. Then it totally lost the partition and there was no hope for anything even IBM software, winXP fix, or partition magic couldnt bring it back, all I got was a message "critical 1507 Bad file record signature" and wouldn't show the partition.

Back