• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PIII chipsets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

old silicon

It's a shame they never developed a chipset with DDR memory for the PIII. According to Sandra my Tualatin Celery gets better scores in the artithmetic and multimedia tests than a 2gig P4. Just lacking memory bandwidth with SDRAM-vs-DDR. I'd bet a PIII with ddr memory would make the P4 look foolish. hehehe Probably why such a chipset doesn't exist eh?
Didn't they have a RDRAM chipset for PIII's? Anyone know how they performed? Good,Bad,ugly?
Anyone ever compare performance between the Tualatin Celery and the 512cache PIII? I know the 512 chips are way over priced but if they ever drop to a reasonable level I was wondering if it would be worth dropping one in my Soyo TISU in place of my 1.1a Celeron. I'd like to see some benchies of a 1.4 PIII @ 150fsb.

Intel i840 was a Socket 370 + RDRAM chipset, as is/was the i820.

There have also been numerous Socket 370 + DDR boards. Here's a link to a German sites' test of some DDR/Socket 370 boards. Look at the listing on the right. I think there are even more than they tested, too. These are not Intel chipset boards though, I think they're all VIA or Ali chipsets.

Here's some Sandra shots of my PIII-S 1.4 at default speed. You can compare them to the shots of my 1.1A Tualeron that I'll post below. Both CPU's are on the same board an use identical hardware. All I did was swap out the CPUs. The PIII-S is running at default FSB and RAM is running at 133Mhz. The Tualeron is running at 133FSB (which comes out to 1.463Mhz on the CPU) and the RAM is running at 133Mhz.

PIII-S @ 1.400Ghz:

Math:
PIIIS133FSBMathsmall.jpg

Memory:
PIIIS133FSBMemsmall.jpg

MultiMedia:
PIIIS133FSBMMsmall.jpg

Here's the 1.1A Tualeron OCed to 1.463Ghz (133FSB)

Math:
SanMath133FSBdefaultVcoreS.jpg

Memory:
SanMem133FSBdefaultVcoreS.jpg

MultiMedia:
SanMM133FSBdefaultVcoreS.jpg

far out benches. when i got the tualy up and running i was amazed as well. on 3dmk i get ~7200 @ 133fsb and ~7900 @ 155fsb, 8200 if i do cas 2@150fsb. i remember even coppermines outbenching some of the p4's. the tualy are really something though.

i looked into the ddr board options at one time and was distinctly unimpressed with the improvement over sdram. in 3dmk it came to roughly 200-300 points difference! set your sdram to 2.2.2 and you get that back...

Pathetic how intel went with the willy instead of the tually. Oh well, hopefully prescott will be a nice new addition to the fine line of intel products. Currently I own about 3 p2 cpus and a p3 ;)

The northbridge <-> CPU bandwidth is the limiting factor. You could have a 100000ghz memory bus but it wouldn't do you much good because you only have a 100mhz or 133mhz FSB. If you overclock to a 150FSB, then just use PC150. It's all perfectly matched and using DDR or RDRAM won't do you any good. If you could get the FSB up to 200 then DDR200 might be useful.

- JW

BTW: I love the graphs Ralf. It's great to compare them that way. Is there any chance you could do a few more benchmarks (ie: 3Dmark, PCmark)?

- JW

Back