• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor advice for TH7 II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmur

Hi. I'm looking to upgrade my current setup as cheaply as possible. I'm running the following:
Abit TH7II Raid
512 PC 800 Samsung RDRAM (4*128 MB sticks)
1.6a @ 2133 stock voltage
The memory is running @ 1064, but won't go a bit higher. The processor seems to crap out @ 142 FSB with the memory @ 852 mHz. I've maxed the voltage out to the core and temps go up, but doesn't help. I'm using an AVC Sun Flower for cooling. I was thinking that a 2.0a would be a good choice as I may be able to hit 2.66 with the memory I'm using. I also thought about using 1066 RDRAM, but wasn't sure if it will work with this board. I want to keep the memory at the 400 setting as high FSB's seem to be out of reach. I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions. Thanks.

Sure: you have a perfect situation for a 2.4b 133 fsb @ $177 oem and $190 whsf and 3 year you can't go wrong. You might look for a c1 stepping I hear they are o/c good.

Logger, yeah the 2.4b is cool, but I was hoping to get to 2.66. Can I use the 1066 RDRAM with this board?

You said as cheaply as possible......

Well then! get the highest cpu you can and yes 1066 will work but don't get rid of the 800. You need it to run the 1066.

2.66 is about$300

Last edited:
Thanks for the response on the 1066 memory. I meant I'd like to get to 2.66 with a 2.0a (133*20) due to the FSB and memory constraints.

timmur-

Sorry to jump on your thread but we basically have the same questions. My system is almost identical to yours, except my memory is 2x256 mb sticks.

I just can't seem to go any higher than 130fsb with the memory @4x.

Dropping to 3x only lets me get to about 140fsb.

Logger-

I have heard different opinions about whether to get a 2.4a or 2.4b. My main concern is that if I cannot reach 133 stably then I would have to underclock my cpu to use the 2.4b. If I get the 2.4a, even though it has a higher multiplier, it would seem I may get a higher stable overclock.

Is my logic correct?

I know I have posted similar threads but it is still a bit puzzling.

Again- timmur- sorry for jumping in.

If you get the 2.4b you just set the fsb to 133 to meet the chips spec's thats not o/c ing. you set the ram to 300 so at 133 the ram is at 800 you fix the pci bus. now if you wanna go higher the ram has a fresh start from 800 and the chip has a stock start from 133.

i am assuming you are using pc800 and stock drcgs: if that is true you have to remeber 140x3= pc 840 .that is a 40 mhz overclock. it could well be the max that your pc 800 or drcgs can handle. guys cranking out pc 1066 with 45ns memory are few and far between. i had to change out my drcgs and do a vmem mod then buy pc1066 to be able to achieve high memory speeds.

My system will go much higher than that with stock parts. My old 1.8 would go to 120fsb easily thats 960. but I know what you are talking about. I thought he would be better off with a 133 chip to start off with . He can go with ram change if he wants but for the money why get a 100 fsb chip when you can get a 133 for almost the same price.

Yeah stock drcgs. The memory is good to 1064, but not a bit more. This may be a dumb question, but will NewEgg take a processor back if I try it and it doesn't go high enough?

Back