• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New chipset soon??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmyqwest

Disabled
I've heard that intel is about to release a new chipset...with that i would imagine ausus is going to make a new board.

As soon as i get ahold of about 500 more dollars i'm gonna build my new (and first own build) system. As of right now i'm going for the P4PE (with raid for future...toys :)). Just wondering if anyone has heard anything better on through the grape vine. I know that there is almost always something bigger and better but since i have a window of about 1 month or so...i want to get the best i can get at that time ;-)

Well there already is a newer chipset than the i845PE which is what the P4PE has, its called Granite Bay. Asus has a board for this chipset its called the P4G8X. It has dual DDR but costs an arm and a leg and most people think the i845pe still has the best price/performance ratio.

timmyqwest said:
I've heard that intel is about to release a new chipset...

Form where did you hear this???
Isnt it a little soon for Springdale? Or are we all in for a happy surprise?

The chipsets for the new mobile Banias processor are out in Feb I believe. But I don't think Asus will be making boards with them.

- JW

P4PE is a good board, unless you want more DDR then two sticks. or if you want 8X in the video, and I have heard that it isnt that big a jump, so yes, P4PE is a good board.

TheNamelessOne said:
Well there already is a newer chipset than the i845PE which is what the P4PE has, its called Granite Bay. Asus has a board for this chipset its called the P4G8X. It has dual DDR but costs an arm and a leg and most people think the i845pe still has the best price/performance ratio.

I've heard some very bad things with that board...

timmyqwest said:

I've heard some very bad things with that board...

It's not so much that it's a bad board, it just doesn't offer much of an improvement over other less expensive boards.

My understanding is the Canterwood and Springdale chipsets will be out in.. April?

I haven't heard of anything new, other than those (and the Granite Bay)

Back