• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adequite setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elekt

is my setup gonna be adequite
ok heres the list of stuff i want to buy, i want my system to preform at close to the same temps 32 idle 39 load, fora p4 1.8a thats OCed to 2.45. i currently only have the stock heatsink and fan.

i will start out with just a cpu block and possibly later move to a gpu block but for now i just want the cpu. i want to try to keep all teh barbs teh same fitting size so there wont be any complications.

i plan on buying a maxi Jet 1200 for my pump from ebay for around 30 bux shipped.
i want to use a bay resevoire as ive heard they are easy to install and bleed / fill, (any tips on that).
for my cpu block i am stuck between a few blocks.

x-aqua p4 block
or
a swiftech block, although i have heard they have only so so performance.

im not really sure on which radiator, i was thinking maybe http://dtekcustoms.safeshopper.com/19/24.htm?503
or
this permacool compact one

and for tubing i will probably just get some 1/2 from home depot

I'd read more threads here on the forum until you get an idea of what's out there.

The Via can be had for less, but a maxi-jet can be had for even less than that. There are arguments for both, but it seems the new cheap pump of choice is the maxi-jet.

I would suggest MAZE4 cu top or TC4 alu top instead of x-aqua block or swiftec block.

Maxijet seemed to have better feedback in this forum than VIA. I use Eheim 1250 and it serves me great :D

The d-tek Heatercore definate is the best one.

Oh... With a little bit of modding (search the forum) a heatercore from an auto parts store will do nicely. Ford and chevy both have small ones to choose from for cheap.

Use this to find the type. Then print it out and make the guys at the store cross reference the numbers for you. If it's much over $20 try another type. If they all are, so to a different store. I always go to autozone. My last one was less than $18.

last check with you geniuses

i think i will go with this setup.
this dtek heatercore with 1/2 barbs
unless there is a better one from them.
i have plenty of fans for the heater core

for my water block i will get a maze3 i couldnt find a maze4 ne where. this will have 1/2 inch barb.
http://dangerden.com/mall/maze3.asp

im gonna get a maxijet 1200 for my pump.

for hose should i get 3/8s as ive heard it fits over the 1/2 barbs, or should i get 1/2 nad get hose clamps? i think i will go with 1/2 cus from what ive heard it allows greater flow speeds.

for my rez. i want to get the dtek bay res

if i am correct this is all i need? no y fittings right? thanx for the help

I would get some better tubing than you'll find at Home Depot, theirs is thin walled and kinks easily and I've even seen some of it burst. Check out Tygon, ClearFlex or MasterKleer and you are right to go with 1/2" ID tubing, there's no point in adding any restrictions you can avoid. With the res you won't need a T line for filling/bleeding. Don't forget about a fan and a shroud.

peace.
unloaded

i have several old 120 mm fans, and as for a shroud, im too cheap to buy one as my budget is really low. but i have some scrap aluminum. couldnt i just make cuts and bend it? i saw it somewhere, ill search the forums for it. thanx, hopefully my rig will be done soon, its gonna be aluminum cooler master or lian li with all blue stuff, im gonna have blue led fans (already got em) a UV light and blue uv reactive in my lines, and for tubing i think im gonna buy clear flex online, this crap about putting springs in, is this true? or should i not bother. thanx for all the help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
so my whole system should be set up for around 150 bux if shipping and tax aint to bad.

25 for bay res.
25(shipped) for maxijet off ebay. - already have.
32 for radiator.
40 for maze 3.
and 15 for tubing.

Last edited:
That's the most powerful Maxi-jet if that's what you're asking. It's what I have and it's got a lot of pep for such a cheap pump.

Here is a link to a pic of my pump. The pic is crappy and BIG. Sorry.

The fitting on the end is a plastic fitting I found in the drawers at Lowes. I just went through untill I found something that would fit. Edit: I took the impeller housing in with me.

The part number (Lowes) is A-386
It's a 1/2" male nylon barb to a 3/4" male thread. It just slides over the inlet perfectly. VERY tight. I could almost run without adhesive (through the blow test), but I'm going to marine goop it on there.

Hope this helps some more

im running a 1/2 every thing, from your post i couldnt really tell, but im asuming it is a 3/4 pump barb size that is standard and i need to convert to 1/2"?

i think im gonna use tygon tubing 1/2". i realize i need an adaptor for my maxijet thanx to shroomer. my pump should be here soon. and i need a little more cash for the rest of my stuff and this project is coming after a sound system up grade for my car (which is quite pricey, 2 600 watt amps, 2 12in subs, 1 400 watt amp, plus a new face, plus a whole new set of xplodes) and i still need a new case thats another 200 if i get the one i want. my last question (for now) is what kind of hose clamps do i need? which are better the metal screw on ones or the nylon ? thanx again dudes.

i ordered my clearflex, my maze with copper top, and my heatercore from dtek. my new question is, i plan to move from my mid tower to a full tower case, and im wonder what a case with ample space for all my stuff, that looks snazzy and is under 100 bux shipped. i would prefer black or charcoal or aluminum (yeah right for under 100) and a window would be nice, but is again, optional. power supply is not needed but if it doesnt increase the case price im fine.

i found a few, http://directron.com/sf880b.html

look for chieftec at directron and Newegg. I got my Matrix from Directron for $85 shipped. It's VERY heavy, though.

finished my gladware shrouds and my maxijet resevoir, pics up soon, man wetwilly really helped me on this one with his great guides, i have 2 papst 120 mm fans running on my rad, and they are damn loud, but ifi run em at 7 volts they are quiet enough for me to sleep,

What did you do for a res? I am about to setup a system with a maxi-jet 900 and am deciding whether or not to use a res. I think the out/inlets are the same sizes and everything. The one you linked to looked nice, but it's in the UK and I don't want to spend that much. You did something homemade?

well i have papst 120 mm, so when they are at 5 v, they still push a considerable amount of air. i dont want to bog down the forums with a new thread, so my next question:

i have an spst switch for my 5 and 12 volt lines. when i start the psu with 5 volts and then go up to 12 it works. but when i start at 12 and try to go back down to 5 the psu shuts down, almost as if i am short curcuiting. do i need a resistor or something????

Back