• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IWILL K266 133FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
T

Tbone

First time to over clock so bear with me.

I have the Tbird 900, and I did the L4 bridge thing.
Crucial SDRAM 256 Meg 2cls
Asus GeForce GTS pure

Last night I tried to set my KK266 to 133 from 100 with the jumper on mother board. It would never boot at all. I set the multiplier down to 5, 6 or 7 and never would boot at all.

I was successful at 10 X 100 to get 1000 speed but no more. If I went to 10.5 X 100 or above no boot at all.

I left my core voltage at auto the whole time do I need to do anything with it?

Anybody else went through this. It runs great at 1000Mgz.

My CPU is running under Half life at a temp of 118 degrees, Is this okay?

Thanks

TFC

If you want to use 133MHz FSB, first you need to lower the multipler enough which you know it can be handle 133MHzFSB , like 7X133=933MHz. All you need to do is set the multiplier to 7X100MHz FSB and let it boot into windows, then shut down and move the jumper to 133MHz FSB. This time at boot up, it will be 933MHz. You can start changing the multiplier or upper the FSB which ever you like. You are better off setting the cpu voltage to 1.85V because you want the maximum speed anyway. Some time if you if you went over board with the MHz, and won't boot up, just set the jumper back to 100MHz FSB and start over. Have fun!

I thought that was what I did, but I will try tonight and see what happens.

Thanks

IWILL K266 133FSB will not work

I went home and tried the above, but it did not work

First if I set it to anything below 9 X100 when I exit and save in the bios it will not reboot it just hangs, and the monitor light will go yellow like the power is off or its in power save mode.
I can not turn the power off with power switch I have to unplug the power plug to get it to reboot.
It will boot up in a lower setting after that, but when I reboot it hangs just like before.

If I put it on133 it never boots, no matter what multiplier I use.

I'm still running at 10X100 fine, but would like to go higher.

Try redo the pencil work on the L1 Cache. You can use eraser to take the previous lead off. Let just hope that it will work or there could be something wrong with you motherboard.

Tbone (Apr 17, 2001 11:13 a.m.):
First time to over clock so bear with me.

I have the Tbird 900, and I did the L4 bridge thing.
Crucial SDRAM 256 Meg 2cls
Asus GeForce GTS pure

Last night I tried to set my KK266 to 133 from 100 with the jumper on mother board. It would never boot at all. I set the multiplier down to 5, 6 or 7 and never would boot at all.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO UNDERCLOCK ANYWAY?

I was successful at 10 X 100 to get 1000 speed but no more. If I went to 10.5 X 100 or above no boot at all.

CAN YOU RUN CPU BENCHMARK AND SEE IF IT ACTUALLY RUNNING AT THAT SPEED? IF THERE IS DISCREPENCY, YOUR CPU MAY NOT BE UNLOCKED.

I left my core voltage at auto the whole time do I need to do anything with it?
I WOULD, I HAD TO EASY UP MY VCORE TO 1.80 RUNNING AT 131FSB. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT YOUR MOBO ONLY ALLOW FSB UPTO 132MAX AND MIN100.

My CPU is running under Half life at a temp of 118 degrees, Is this okay?
DEFINITELY NOT COOL!!!

Thanks

TFC

Oh no, he can switch to the 133MHz fsb jumper only by underclocking to a lower multiplier first. There is a very very slim chance that his TBird 900 will run at 1197MHz (9 X 133MHz) right?. That is just how the KK266 works by lowering the multiplier first. If he can get 8X133MHz=1064 and gradually increase the fsb for extra MHz=more memory bandwidth, all depend on how good his ram is. The KK266 can go as high as 166MHz fsb and hope one day at 200MHz fsb.

Tbone, I would definitely consider and better HSF (w/ Artic Silver and lapping) before attempting a overclock. You are running fairly hot as it is,
if you try to push harder there is not enough cooling for a stable overclock.
The crucial 256mb cas2 will handle 150 w/o trouble and I would consider upping the voltage to 1.8.
Few ides that worked for me.

Thanks to all.

I will try tonight when I get home.
what would be a normal temp to run?

Your temp is about 5-10F more than me in the day time with pc case closed. I have an Alpha fc-pal35t and a sunon 26cfm fan. Keep the case open or direct more air toward the heatsink with another fan that would certainly help a bit.

Nomis (Apr 17, 2001 09:15 p.m.):
Try redo the pencil work on the L1 Cache. You can use eraser to take the previous lead off. Let just hope that it will work or there could be something wrong with you motherboard.

I agree - is your KK a rev 1.2 board ? If so, then check whether it has the notoriously missing transistor.

Yo

There is a good chance that the 900 isn't a 266 chip, but a 200. The odds of getting it to 133 are pretty slim. The multiplier may be the only way to go. Try increasing your FSB from the 100 setting, and see how far you can get where it boots and runs stable. Go in 3 to 5 increments. If you can't get to 120, you'll never get to 133.

Nomis (Apr 17, 2001 10:06 p.m.):
Oh no, he can switch to the 133MHz fsb jumper only by underclocking to a lower multiplier first. There is a very very slim chance that his TBird 900 will run at 1197MHz (9 X 133MHz) right?. That is just how the KK266 works by lowering the multiplier first. If he can get 8X133MHz=1064 and gradually increase the fsb for extra MHz=more memory bandwidth, all depend on how good his ram is. The KK266 can go as high as 166MHz fsb and hope one day at 200MHz fsb.

I agree but i was responding to his comment about lowing to 7,6,5. 7x133 would only give931mhz. i would have started with 8x133 also.

The KK266 can go as high as 166MHz fsb and hope one day at 200MHz fsb.[/quote]
that seem pretty extreme though. push up to 166mhz and stable? i heard high as 145mhz - ram but not 166mhz. if anyone can do it, more power to them.

Tbone
I think the problem that your having is that your chip is a 200 FSB. On the iwill board the default multiplier that is on the chip (9 on your chip) will be used at startup. It is only used for a split second before the bios will set it at the selected bios multiplier. Many chips cannot handle running at the default multi and 133fsb (1137 in your case) even if for a split second.

I have the same problem with my 850. There are some articles around that talk about this problem and how you can overcome it, you have to connect or cut more bridges to permanently change your multiplier. I wouldn't cut bridges myself but that's just me.

I look around and see if I can find the link for you.

Well I looked at the code on top of the Tbird, and it looks like a 200 MHz. So I'm out of luck. I will know better next time.
The most I will get will be 10 X 100

Thanks

Tbone (Apr 19, 2001 10:08 p.m.):
Well I looked at the code on top of the Tbird, and it looks like a 200 MHz. So I'm out of luck. I will know better next time.
The most I will get will be 10 X 100

Thanks

TBone

I was running my 850 at 8x125 1000. I think that you might get better system performance using that kind of setting than 10x100.

TBone,
You CAN DO IT. I have a 900Tbird on a KK266 running at 7x145. I only have the L1 bridges unlocked. No matter what you do to the L1 bridges, your rig will boot up at 9x(fsb jumper, 100 or 133) for a millisecond until your bios settings take over. So at 133+ FSB it is initializing at 9x133. This may be too much for your bird for that brief time until the bios multiplier (7 on mine) takes over.
You might want to try. connecting the L7's to give you more voltage at initialization. Connecting them all will give you 1.85v.
You can have certain success if you do some connecting of the L6 bridges. These are the multiplier bridges. For a 900 they look like:
.II::
A 700 looks like:
.III:
So if you connect that 3rd set, then your rig will initialize at 7x133 which your bird will definitely do.
Give it a shot.

Back