• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Real story on Dual DDR400 w/ A7N8X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxik co2

From people who have had experience. Is it really woth the extra memory bandwitdh to do this. I know it takes down your CPU FSB by a few MHz since it's 2 stick. I'm still deciding wether or not to buy 1x512 XMS3200 or 2x256 XMS3200. Any input would be awesome thanks guys! Also is it still possible to hit a 200FSB with the 2 sticks of RAM?

-toxik

i would get the two 256sticks. i have two on mine. some guy on another forum got 236fsb on an 8rda+(vmodded) with the same memory i have and two sicks of it.

Which two sticks are you planning to get of the Corsair the C2 or Low Latency? Its prefferable since you have Nforce board to run 2sticks of ram.

If you only going to have 512mb in your system then get two sticks of 256mb ram to work in DC configuration.

I am at 200mhz fsb 24/7 on my A7N8X. I'm using two sticks of Samsung pc2700. I havn't tried a single stick. I think the performance is with two sticks is awesome.

2 sticks are good... with A7N8X...

Well.. If I buy new memory, I'll definately buy XMS3200LL..
Unfortunately, I already bought XMS3500C2..

Check out my sig...
It is great...
However, over 200MHz FSB, system gets unstable....
even with higher voltage and relaxed memory timing.. :mad:

I don't know it is chipset problem or not..

lol, pc3200 in dual channel. I think i will leave it at that. Use search for more.

pelikan said:
I am at 200mhz fsb 24/7 on my A7N8X. I'm using two sticks of Samsung pc2700. I havn't tried a single stick. I think the performance is with two sticks is awesome.

what kind of bandwith are you getting with the dual channel using pc2700 at 200mhz fsb.

i am wanting to compare my via kt 400 running pc2700 at 200mhz. i am getting Int. 3015mb/s.

That was my fear of buying 2x256 not being able to hit a 200FSB. I might just go w/ the 512 stick. Is C2 or Low Latency better?

juninjesus said:
2 sticks are good... with A7N8X...

Well.. If I buy new memory, I'll definately buy XMS3200LL..
Unfortunately, I already bought XMS3500C2..

Check out my sig...
It is great...
However, over 200MHz FSB, system gets unstable....
even with higher voltage and relaxed memory timing.. :mad:

I don't know it is chipset problem or not..

toxik co2 said:
That was my fear of buying 2x256 not being able to hit a 200FSB. I might just go w/ the 512 stick. Is C2 or Low Latency better?

lower cas is better. I suggest getting corsair xms or you could be more unique and get some twinmoss, though it might be a lil harder to get a hold of...

toxik co2 said:

You may have problems getting there with just 1 stick. Many people cannot get stable in 3dmark with that high of an fsb

walldow said:

what kind of bandwith are you getting with the dual channel using pc2700 at 200mhz fsb.

i am wanting to compare my via kt 400 running pc2700 at 200mhz. i am getting Int. 3015mb/s.

I havn't done a memory benchmark. Sorry.

TheFrag said:

lower cas is better. I suggest getting corsair xms or you could be more unique and get some twinmoss, though it might be a lil harder to get a hold of...

I'm already rock stable at a 200FSB except my memory is suffering because I have to run it at 75% (150FSB) But what i'm asking is....is Dual Channel DDR really worth it? I mean are the gains noticable? I'm thinking I just should stick to one stick of XMS3200 C2 since I already know I can hit 200FSB on 1 stick of ram.

Actually dual channel memory is not worth in AMD system.
Single stick of DDR memory already offers matched bandwith..

200MHz FSB and 200MHz DDR memory.. they both work at 2x mode.. so, 400MHz effective.. Also they are all 64bit bus..

nForce is designed for intergrated graphic chipset... That's why the chip is using dual channel memory bus...
You won't get any performance gain even though you are using dual channel memory due to bottleneck between CPU and chipset.

However, nForce offers some small percent of performance gain in dual channel memory. I think the chipset is not optimized under single channel environment..
That's why u get performance gain with dual channel memory..

If single channel memory is highly optimized, there is no reason to go with dual channel memory..

P4 is different... this chip use not DDR, QDR.. Quard Data Rate...!! 4X mode... So, dual channel memory is very important..!!

In theory, running Dual Channel DDR with an Athlon would mean you could run two sticks of DDR in DC at 50% of the FSB and still fill all of the bandwidth. In theory.

But, I have a feeling that the current incarnations of the Nforce2 chipset are not mature enough to really provide all of this bandwidth.

So what advantages would this provide? Think about it... you could run insanely high FSBs and you wouldn't have to have amazing RAM. You could run an FSB of 230 and run two sticks of DDR @ 115 each and still fill all of the bandwidth, and run tight timings on it too.

All hypothetically speaking, of course.

I'm planning on getting an 8RDA and another stick of RAM to test my theory, as soon as I get some cash. :)

Anyway, my two cents.

Back