• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cooling ideas....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hrdwrjnkie

OK, here goes. I got a buddy who works with a chemical engineering firm. they're working on a new H20 substitute that he "accidentally" brought home a sample of. This stuff has a freezing point of minus 50 celcius and a boiling point of 175 celcius. Also has NO conductivity whatsoever.

We were thinkin of runnin it through a standard water setup (non-corrosive, non-toxic, shouldn't hurt the pump, tube, or blocks) and then mebbe through a water chiller.

Some more information on this stuff:

Average molecular weight = 670
Boiling point = 174 deg C
Gel point = -50 deg C
Density = 1.88 gm/cm3
Vapor pressure = 1.3 torrr
Specific heat = 0.25 cal/g
Dielectric Strength = 40KV over a 1" gap
Volume Resistivity = 2.3x10 to 75th power (very large number) ohms
over 1 cm
Appearance = Clear/Colorless, odorless liquid

Hope this helps. By my figuring, it is twice as dense as water, evaporates much slower, and has as much, if not more, heat capacity. I don't exactly remember the formula for calculating heat capacity from physics, so feel free to correct me.

Oh, and it conducts almost NO electricity (leaks are no longer a problem!)

Also, supposedly corrosion free on plastics and metals, and according the the R&D guy, nothing can survive in it, so no parasites!

Anybody know of a good chiller setup that we could fit in a case w/this thing?

Comments, questions, etc. :D

any chance you know a chemical name for this stuff? it sounds like a good candidate for submersion cooling.

Freeloader said:
By any chance is this liquid "Flourinert"? If is is, it's over $200 a gallon

Nah, I don't think so anyway. If I remember correctly, flourinert evaporates almost as fast as alcohol.

Sounds like you need to keep us posted about your results! And watch out jumping into chillers too quickly. That stated gel point may be -50C, but pumps may overheat and die before that's reached as the viscosity increases.
Try just hanging a heatercore out the window for now. North Dakota will surely take it from there...brrrrr.

slow evaporation would sorta defet the reason of a bong, bongs get sub-ambiant temps from the evaportaion of water.

Back