• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When to buy DDR!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lynx

Due to the latest development in the world of the DDR chipset I have decided to postpone my conversion to DDR to Christmas. This is due to the massive performance increase in mobos using the KT266 chipset. So I am waiting for the market to resolve who is the best. Has anyone else got anything to say on the subject of DDR chipsets?

I have something to say! why would you pay big amoutns of $$$ more for a DDR sytem when with only a 7% performance loss you could get a much cheaper kt133A? and when a kt133A board is overclocked it can beat a DDR board at default no problem!you also save BIG$$$

cookedcomp (Apr 17, 2001 03:16 p.m.):
I have something to say! why would you pay big amoutns of $$$ more for a DDR sytem when with only a 7% performance loss you could get a much cheaper kt133A? and when a kt133A board is overclocked it can beat a DDR board at default no problem!you also save BIG$$$

why do people climb Mt? because it's there. Hehe, it's man's natural urge to have the laterst, fastest, and yes bigger the better. gives bragging right.
Not practical but we all do it more than we realize.

When?

When you need the boost and can afford the migration. The cost have dropped to within 10-15% of non-DDR for mobo and memory. Example: the difference between an Iwill KK vs KA is $20 bucks and 256mb of DDR memory directly from Crucials website is about $109.

If you need an 266 upgrade anyway, going DDR should not be a cost hinderance any more.

Back