• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can burn in improve memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paulie

Has anyone been able to run lower CAS Timings after burning in the memory? I've never heard of it happening for anyone.

After having some lengthy discussions on this subject with people in the engineering department at my school, I'm nearly convinced that the whole idea of "burning-in" is a bunch of hoo-ey.

Well iam a little bit of a noob to even overclocking but i will tell u this i have been burning in me 1yr old cpu and i have droped the idle temp about 3c and been able to go up on the fsb about from 288 stable to 294 stable thats not very much but i have a crapy pally.

infacts its worse for any component, as simply by using it is degrading it more and more, so stressing it isnt helping anyone

hmmm.... up to this point, i had always thought that burning in was good, like printing brake rotors/pads or breaking in your new engine (on cars).... i guess not, eh?

actually an engineer in a previus post stated that burning in DOES do something, mainly allow it to run cooler at higher voltages. beyond that it does nothing in an engineering standpoint. but with lower temps you can get a greater o/c.

I burned in my system for 3 days non-stop and it did absolutely nothing

jonspd said:
Well iam a little bit of a noob to even overclocking but i will tell u this i have been burning in me 1yr old cpu and i have droped the idle temp about 3c and been able to go up on the fsb about from 288 stable to 294 stable thats not very much but i have a crapy pally.

I don't believe burning in can improve anything. The only way I can think this can help is that your thermal compound will set in during this burn in period. There are no moving parts in a processor, or in RAM memory, so unlike cars, you can't "break them in" and gain performance.

The whole burn in idea is used to check system stability. Thats my view on it.

Back