• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iwill KK266-R BIOS ROM Checksum Error?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrkalohea

Just got my Iwill kk266-R, set it up and everything worked perfectly, until I had to reset the CMOS. I jumpered pins 2-3 then set it back to 1-2. Turned on the computer and all I get is BIOS Rom Checksum error. Does anyone know what happened.

This is not abnormal, methinks..... just reset all your bios options and reboot it a few times, if it does it again, post back here again, maybe with a few more details regarding the problem and your setup.

SickBoy

mrkalohea (Apr 17, 2001 08:03 p.m.):
Just got my Iwill kk266-R, set it up and everything worked perfectly, until I had to reset the CMOS. I jumpered pins 2-3 then set it back to 1-2. Turned on the computer and all I get is BIOS Rom Checksum error. Does anyone know what happened.

we need more info such as what led up to that? were you ocing with fsb?if so how far did you go? did comp post and pause or no post at all
detail info is needed. don't be embarassed about it we all made mistake before.

this happened to me when i made my computer
all i did was clear the CMOS thing and it worked dont know what is wrong here

mrkalohea (Apr 17, 2001 08:03 p.m.):

Sometime, you will need to do more than switch the cmos jumper back and fore, like pull out the power cord. The reason you get that error could be you have a 200MHz fsb and was set at 133MHz fsb, after that you have cleared the cmos, the default multiplier is back and can't not handle 133MHz. You should be able to reboot by switch back to the 100MHz fsb jumper from 133MHz fsb.

I was overclocking with the fsb. Had the voltage set at 1.8, multyplier at 8 and VIO unadjusted throughout, first tried fsb at 110, and 115, it worked fine. Then tried 120, and it wouldn't post. (I only have an air cooled system right now, working on water cooling.) I turned power off to the computer, reset the CMOS using the jumper and set it back to normal. Turned power back on to the case, hit the power button and I get the bios rom checksum error. This is all I get, it doesn't post, there is no way for me get into bios. I have had many computers before, and clearing the CMOS isn't a hard task, so I don't know what the problem is.

Try unplug the motherboard power connector and wait a while then plug it back in. Clear the cmos again and see if it will start.

Nomis (Apr 17, 2001 09:43 p.m.):
Try unplug the motherboard power connector and wait a while then plug it back in. Clear the cmos again and see if it will start.

Tryed this. Left it unplugged for at about an hour, then plugged it back in and i still have the same problem. Another thing I didn' t mention earlier, After the Bios rom checksum error, it says
"Detecting drive A media...
Drive A error. System Hault"

or sometimes
Invalid media. Insert system disk and press enter."

Rev1.1 don't have any problem with the board, only some of the Rev1.2 KK266 does. Something else to try? I think the FSB jumper labeled is wrong on the motherboard. If you think it is on 100MHz fsb right now, try move the jumper over to 133MHz fsb which I think it is the correct 100MHz fsb. Try that, because the BIOS ROM Checksum Error is seem when you overclocks to much and lock up. If it still doesn't work, take your duron out of the socket for few seconds and put it back in. Are you doing this, each time after you pc lock up, the first thing you would do is push the power buttom on and if it won't boot, hold down the power buttom to soft off and repeat the method about three time or more and sometime works and if not, then you would go clear the cmos. Please let me know how it goes.

If all you get is the Bios ROM Checksum error, you have a wiped bios and probably will need a new Bios chip. Check the IWill site to see if there is a way to flash a wiped Bios. Probably not, but worth a look.

remove everything from the motherboard and run it naked!! oh yea,

and try with diffrent processor, and em, if you still have problem you can try to get your bios rom chip replacet/reprogramd, on places such as www.badflash.com

Nomis (Apr 18, 2001 03:28 a.m.):
Rev1.1 don't have any problem with the board, only some of the Rev1.2 KK266 does. Something else to try? I think the FSB jumper labeled ....quote]

I tried your suggestions, no luck. I talked to Iwill and they told me I should RMA the board. Not sure if I should do that or just get a new bios chip. Does anyone know how this could have happened. After I changed the fsb to 120, it didn't post. I turned the switch on the power supply off, cleared the CMOS, turned the switch back on and then this.

Thanks all for the help!

I experienced your problem few times and I have always manage to get the motherboard to boot again. If you still want to give it another try, you can pop out the battery them put it back in to see if it would help. Just to be sure, your fsb jumper is placed correctly according to the manual right. because the pin position is 321 and not 123. Work on it some more and maybe you can save money and time for a new one to arrive.

mrkalohea (Apr 18, 2001 02:08 a.m.):
Nomis (Apr 17, 2001 09:43 p.m.):

Tryed this. Left it unplugged for at about an hour, then plugged it back in and i still have the same problem. Another thing I didn' t mention earlier, After the Bios rom checksum error, it says
Drive A error. System Hault"

or sometimes
Invalid media. Insert system disk and press enter."

I had this problem, and if removing power fro a minute or so does not help, you may indeed have a wiped bios chip. The "drive A error" occurs because the board is looking for a bootable disk with awdflash exe and a bin file...IWill has provided these automatic flash procedures that might help you get back up and running:

Make a bootable floppy (on another machine) and put awdflash exe (on IWill CDROM) and a bios bin file (from the IWill webste) on it. Insert into drive A and try to invoke the automatic flash procedure.

Good luck

Yo

Back