• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

in-line system with HDD cooling (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Volenti

This is a setup I'm making for a friend, I did a quick job the first time and ended up with hoses and crap everywhere, so I thought I'd rectify the suitation.

wardy_case1.jpg

wardy_case2.jpg

wardy_case3.jpg

wardy_case4.jpg

wardy_case5.jpg

The HDD cooling set up is to make sure his 240gig worth(over 4 drives) of storage doesn't cook in our hot queensland summer.

The pump is a resun 1200 with my in-line mod, small enough to hang off the copper tubing (reducing vibration noise), water block is something I quickly knocked up, nothing special performance wise but adequate for the task (quiet being the aim, not overclocking) radiator is the heater core out of a datsun 120y, or 180b, I forget:eek:

note the fill tube, which comes directly out of the heatercore, fills/drains very easily.

Sweet idea! Well done.

[beevis] you said rectify...hehehe [/beevis]

X2sandman said:
gonna be lots of fun if you ever have to take the w/b off :)

in the 3rd pic you can just see the short peices of pvc tubing connecting the copper pipe to the waterblock, it comes off readily enough.

Good thoughts about making sure the block is removable. I thought the same thing as X2sandman at first, but now I understand.

I'm interested in your fill tube - does this also adequately bleed the extra air in the system? How did you make this? drill and tap into an 'empty' space in the heatercore? do you have any more pics of this?

I'm very interested because the way I have things situated, I can't really fit a "T" fitting for fill/bleeding, but my heatercore is situated at the top of my case, so this might be a very nice compliment to my setup. Thanks for any info on it.

Nice job for the HD's (not the prettiest tho). I saw a similar job somewhere else and have thought of doing something like it to mine. My HD racks are aluminum, I heard its hard to solder copper to it. I'm wondering if some AS Adhesive would do the job? Is this the first one you've done like this? Do you know how good of a job it does cooling the HDs?

peace.
unloaded

Out of interest, how do you drain this system of water? The area around the pump especially looks difficult to drain!

Albigger said:
Good thoughts about making sure the block is removable. I thought the same thing as X2sandman at first, but now I understand.

I'm interested in your fill tube - does this also adequately bleed the extra air in the system? How did you make this? drill and tap into an 'empty' space in the heatercore? do you have any more pics of this?

I'm very interested because the way I have things situated, I can't really fit a "T" fitting for fill/bleeding, but my heatercore is situated at the top of my case, so this might be a very nice compliment to my setup. Thanks for any info on it.

this a close up pic of the bleed tube in the heatercore;

rad_bleed_tube.jpg

simply cleaned the paint off and drilled a 1/2'' hole, positioned the pipe and soldered it in.

Volenti what case is that bro?

it's just a generic full tower case, "C&S 968A Big Tower" it was called.

Nice job for the HD's (not the prettiest tho). I saw a similar job somewhere else and have thought of doing something like it to mine. My HD racks are aluminum, I heard its hard to solder copper to it. I'm wondering if some AS Adhesive would do the job? Is this the first one you've done like this? Do you know how good of a job it does cooling the HDs?

this is a workhorse, not a show pony:p

The alloy racks would need a different setup, the AS epoxy would probably be ok but with a flatter contact design than a simple bit of copper pipe, of course you could get some alloy pipe mig weilded to the racks but then that adds the whole corrosion thing that is best avioded if possible.

The case isn't together yet, still soundproofing and painting the case;

wardy_case6.jpg

Out of interest, how do you drain this system of water? The area around the pump especially looks difficult to drain!

tip the case over on it's back and it drains nicely, the pump area drains easily too, you can completly drain or fill the system in 10-15min (including air bleeding)

you're not going to be stacking the 4 drives on top of eachother in that little 3.5" rack are you? maximum operating temp for hdds are around 60C, but like cpus, that is a maximum and will effect longevity and such. if the "hdd cooling" is just the sides of the hdds that come into contact with the chassis when it's screwed in then it's going to have a lot of trouble dissipating the heat of 4 modern drives.

safemode said:
you're not going to be stacking the 4 drives on top of eachother in that little 3.5" rack are you?

I certainlly am, and have, in a pretty much "worst case" suitation (ambient temp of 32 degrees c in the room) the harddrives sat around 42-45 degrees c (depending on which drive you measured)

Back