• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about corsair xms2700c2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supapuffy

Registered
hi

newbie (on p4/ddr ram/p4 chipsets) here trying to decide on what parts to get for a p4 upgrade to my current p3 800... and i was just wondering if i have decided on the right kind of ram to get..

i'm planning on getting
p4 1.8a
asus p4pe/L
corsair xms 2700C2 or 2700LL

i will probably run the cpu at default settings (p4 1.8a @ 18x100) and memory at 2-2-2-5 (best settings?) at first then slowly overclock the cpu and ram to achieve the best settings without adding too much cooling to my system

will the corsair xms 2700c2 run at 2-2-2-5 if i set the fsb to 133 so that the cpu is at 18x133?

i believe the memory will then run at 1.25 x 2 x 133 which is 333, and this is what the pc2700 ddr ram is designed for, right? so does that mean it will guarantee 2-2-2-5 at 133? if not, should i go for 2700LL or pc3200?

i think the highest fsb i'll use is probably 133, since the asus p4pe's top limit for memory is ddr333, so does that mean even if i set the fsb to higher than 133, the memory will be limited at 133/333 anyway?

thanks in advance!

i would say go for the pc2700 LL beecause it is guarenteed to run at 166mhz on the lowest timings 2-2-2-5-T1. so that will be plenty as long as u dont run your ram on a divider. so if u run it at 133 it will work perfectly. the thing about the board only supporting 333. that just means that thats the lowest automatic or actually supported. but when u overclock u can just change the fsb as u like it. whats supported doesnt matter.
hope it helps

--jason

even though the LL is guaranteed...a little voltage goes a long way to persuade a RAM stick to do things...even if the XMS PC2700c2 doesn't do what you want right way...burn it in...then try it again...if it still doesn't...up the voltage a bit, and you will get your timings

Most XMS PC2700c2's do above what they are rated for...there are some people in this forum who have them doing over 200FSB in an AMD system...so if it is cheaper...go with the XMS

i've read other threads and i've seen that people can go over fsb133 with the xms pc2700 (but at less agressive settings)

however i probably won't be oc'ing too much... so i only require the memory to run at fsb133, 2-2-2-5... but i guess since it's not too much of a price difference.. i should probably go with xms2700LL so i have more room for a cpu upgrade later on (a default fsb133 cpu so i can go to maybe fsb150 or something)

does anyone know if the asus p4pe allow the cpu and ram to run on independent fsb speeds? i think i've read some reviews that say some motherboards can do that?

i'll go do a search now to see if i can find the answer...

thanks again!

ya u have to run it on a divider so if u have the cpu running at 133fsb and u have it on a 3/4 divider then the ram is running at sumthing like 170fsb. most motherboards come with a couple different dividers.

Back