• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie questions, water cooling of course

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kianss

i bought a cheap water cooling unit [ was either get a radeon 8500le 128mb and good water cooling or a cheap watercooling and 9500 pro , i went for the 9500].

I got the [not the best i know but ill make it work for me]

Ahanix Iceberg with cpu cooler

I have 1 main question. I read alot of people leave there water-cooling-units [WCU] on 24/7 , and some turn them off when they shutdown there pc. Whats the best way , id take running it 24/7 would keep form air pockits forming but would it matter much from turning it on and off or leaven it on ?

Im going to be mounting [modding] my case AND my desk for this unit , b/c im going to have both the water tank and the radiator outside the case [ hot case air can effect it , sience test form other modders did it and gaind about 20+* lower temp sience hot air isnt pulld threw the radiator].

How long should i [after turning it on if i turn it on and off] let it sit befor booting my system up for good cooling from the start , 5 min?

i dotn want to sound like a idiot but its better safe then sorry.

thanks for eny imput.

I turn mine on and off with my pc (turning the pumps on and off with the pc will not shorten pump life)

you can turn the system on within a couple of seconds of turing the pump on.

thanks for the reply

im actually thinkign of buyn 3 [yes THREE] Ahanix Iceberg kits if this one works good. And build a custom radiator cooling system and a setup for the water tanks , and instead of feeding to everything off 1 [and have it heating faster] have a sep one for my high end parts.

how u think that would work lol...

Keep a close eye on your res those things crack. The cracks start out small around the screw holes for the lid, but they will grow and eventually leak all the fluid from your res. This happened to me and many others so beware. Why you would want to spend $300 for multi units of this kit instead of buying one good setup is beyond me. Besides the res being a very bad design, the waterblock is very restrictive, the rad, pump and tubing are all small. I'm assuming you want the other 2 kits to put one on your gpu and one on your NB, I guess you'd haveta epoxy them on, coz I don't know of any other way you would mount them.

peace.
unloaded

im a master at cracker rigging so i always find a way to make things work and work stable lol..

I heard alot of bad things about the unit BUT i also have read alot of good things , stuff on how to avoid the bad issue's , and if i do this and that yatta yadda it should run pretty stable atleast untill i can buy me a better unit.

i was taling out my a** basicly about the 3 units , just maken bs talk, sience i dont have my own workin pc i have nothing to do.

i am though going to put 2 high cfm 80mm fans onthe radiator and have the GPM not to high so the circulation isnt to to fast.

Well if you decide you want more of em I'll sell ya a kit with one cracked res for cheeeeeap, LOL.

peace.
unloaded

ACTUALLY i might take a CD-R case and make a water tank out of it. :) and skip the danger all together

or just take fish tank water sealer and line the inside and outside of it with that , and pre-drill groves in the screw holes so the screws dont pressure the box. Then do some fancy caulk / tape work.

take a CD-R 100 case , turn it upside down [bottem for top] drill some holes in it for the tubes and there u have it , aslong as u dont shake ur pc or throw it , it should never leak lol...

I have the Iceberg 1 and its.....ok

I live in arizona and the temps here change day to day....two days ago it was COLD and now its about 80deg......my cpu right at this minute is 114 deg....which is better than with the HSF.....and I added a switftech GPU cooler on my GF4 4400....the best part is that it's quite! my CD spining up and down it the loudest part now.....

yes the res cracked within 2 days, but they did replace it for free. It seems that the screws are just a bit to big and add pressure to the plexi....I just used 4 #8 Stainless Steel sheet metal screw and it been fine..........

I have the Iceberg 1 and its.....ok

I live in arizona and the temps here change day to day....two days ago it was COLD and now its about 80deg......my cpu right at this minute is 114 deg....which is better than with the HSF.....and I added a switftech GPU cooler on my GF4 4400....the best part is that it's quite! my CD spining up and down it the loudest part now.....

yes the res cracked within 2 days, but they did replace it for free. It seems that the screws are just a bit to big and add pressure to the plexi....I just used 4 #8 Stainless Steel sheet metal screw and it been fine..........

oh btw its a AMD XP 2100.....not overclocked

Back