• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best board for an AMD 1.2 or 1.3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colin

Arctic Silver Senior
Going to be upgrading soon, need advice on the best board for the above CPU, looking for RAID ide support and the board must be able to house my 3x128 pc 133 crucial ram.

Thanks

You in luck, there are two best KT133A motherboards to choose from. The Abit KT7A RAID and the Iwill KK266-R. First the Abit, it got SoftMenu III, the best bios menu. A Northbridge cooling fan and an extra usb connector that the Iwill don't have. The Iwill does not control all setting in the bios, so few settings use jumper but no big deal. There is no Northbridge active cooling but runs fine up to 160MHz fsb. No extra usb connector but it got a good onbroad 4.1 sound. If you have a hard time choose one, buy them both and send me the one you don't like :)

I hear Iwill performs faster than the Abit.... that is when both are clocked at the same FSB and have same hardware specs.

I say Iwill KK266 all the way, Iwill also uses PROMISE raid controler.... promise is one of the best for IDE Raid IMHO. I have their Fastrack ATA100 Raid 0/1 PCI card and its doing good. Although I think I will move up to scsi fairly soon.

Aftershock (Apr 19, 2001 02:13 a.m.):
I hear Iwill performs faster than the Abit.... that is when both are clocked at the same FSB and have same hardware specs.

I say Iwill KK266 all the way, Iwill also uses PROMISE raid controler.... promise is one of the best for IDE Raid IMHO. I have their Fastrack ATA100 Raid 0/1 PCI card and its doing good. Although I think I will move up to scsi fairly soon.

Actually the Iwill uses AMI and Asus uses Promise but I have seem reviews comparing them together and AMI is just as good as the Promise.

Love my abit kt7a. Using all scsi otherwise would have opted for the raid version. It's been rock solid and the jumperless softbios makes it easy to o/c.

Sirfin~

ABIT all the way !!!!!!!!!!! This IWILL board has had serious problems requiring it to be shipped back to factory.Lots of trouble with IWILL,All of the trouble with Abit boards are settings or bios that can be corrected by the end user and not require a return of entire board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diehrd (Apr 19, 2001 03:27 p.m.):
ABIT all the way !!!!!!!!!!! This IWILL board has had serious problems requiring it to be shipped back to factory.Lots of trouble with IWILL,All of the trouble with Abit boards are settings or bios that can be corrected by the end user and not require a return of entire board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is only good as long as your ABit board performs. IWill has been very responsible wrt their screw ups. This cannot be said about ABit.

I had several ABit boards with problems in the past, and their CS department is very unresponsive.

As for the Iwill - here is a review: http://dw3d.com/hreview/kk266/index.html

Yo

Iwill seemed to be more plagued with that multiplier problem than the Abit..... if I were getting a 1.0 GHz+ chip it would be a concern of mine. Iwill has been doing really well with their customer service, though.

SickBoy

My KK266-R will be here tomorrow. I'm very excited to experiment it after all this frustrated time with my first Asus A7V133. I hope the KK266-R won't give me another headache.

SickBoy (Apr 19, 2001 06:42 p.m.):
Iwill seemed to be more plagued with that multiplier problem than the Abit..... if I were getting a 1.0 GHz+ chip it would be a concern of mine. Iwill has been doing really well with their customer service, though.

SickBoy

The boards with the multiplier problems were a number of version 1.2 boards, that were missing a resistor and IWill promptly put an RMA procedure in place.

Otherwise I think the issues are about comparable. Every once in a while someone can't get their chip/board combo to run. This happens with ABits as well as with IWill or ASUS for that matter- only Iwill is faster in allowing RMAs.

Yo

Back