• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I turn on the power supply and...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

0dan0

Registered
NOTHING!

I just got a new 300watt enlight PSU for ATX case (KPS300101REVC) and I turn it on and nothing happens. Before I complain to the company I want to make sure that this problem is only the PSU. The weird thing is I had a perfectly working 200watt PSU and after plugging it into my new system (abit ky7a-raid) it doesn't seem to work either. And by not working I mean nothing works, not even the fan in the PSU. I changed cables I changed the power supply and they all still dont work. Im assuming its a dud PSU but im asking here to make sure.

-Dan

try the simple things first. make sure everythings plugged in. atx has to be connected to the motherboard for it to power up. make sure the switch on the power supply is turned on (did this before myself)

0dan0 (Apr 18, 2001 11:43 p.m.):
NOTHING!

I just got a new 300watt enlight PSU for ATX case (KPS300101REVC) and I turn it on and nothing happens. Before I complain to the company I want to make sure that this problem is only the PSU. The weird thing is I had a perfectly working 200watt PSU and after plugging it into my new system (abit ky7a-raid) it doesn't seem to work either. And by not working I mean nothing works, not even the fan in the PSU. I changed cables I changed the power supply and they all still dont work. Im assuming its a dud PSU but im asking here to make sure.

2 psu is not working and one is known to work before. HMMM,
were you build a new system? using new components etc?
is your mobo new or used?

Here is a quick way to tell if it is the MOBO or thePSU.
1. Unplug the PSU from the MOBO. Leave the fans and other things plugged in.
2. Looking at the PSU plug for the MOBO, With the clip facing up, count four holes to the right. Take a piece of wire and insert in that hole.
3. Count three more holes to the right. Insert the other end of the wire into it.
4. Turn on PSU switch.
If nothing happens it is a bad PSU
If it works, you have a problem with either the MOBO or the connector.
Hope this helped.

Da Whip (Apr 19, 2001 11:49 a.m.):
Here is a quick way to tell if it is the MOBO or thePSU.
1. Unplug the PSU from the MOBO. Leave the fans and other things plugged in.
2. Looking at the PSU plug for the MOBO, With the clip facing up, count four holes to the right. Take a piece of wire and insert in that hole.
3. Count three more holes to the right. Insert the other end of the wire into it.
4. Turn on PSU switch.
If nothing happens it is a bad PSU
If it works, you have a problem with either the MOBO or the connector.
Hope this helped.

To suppliment Da Whip's advice here is a picture from www.burning-issues.co.uk of the hook-up

That test will not work on all atx power supplies just reconnect the 200 watt with out any drives hoked to it ,see if the fans spin up.

If thay do the 300 is doa

Ahh... thank you so much for that tip, im glad I posted here before asking for a new PSU. I connected those 2 pins and the PSU powered up nicely. So I guess I got a bad mobo. Does this automatically mean the mobo is DOA or is there anything else I could have done wrong.

-Dan

Might mean a pin on your connector is crushed and not making contact with a pin on the mobo. Before you RMA you might want to inspect those pins. I've seen that happen a hundred times with the fold over pins in the connectors. (not on PSU's but vending machines)

Good luck though. I hope it's something simple and not the mobo.

When I bought my Enlight 7237, with 300W PSU, it was dead out of the box. I fiddled with it for quite some time and finally opened it up. The rocker switch on the back was only closing one of the two contacts. I determined this with an ohmeter. I jumpered out the bad half of the switch and it worked fine. Must have been a bad switch from the get-go, but it proves that they do not test them at the factory. The brand of the PSU in my Enlight was Premier. Dumb problem, easy fix. Not recommended if you run your system on 220 as opposed to 110AC.

Hoot

Check to see if the switch for 110 and 220 is in the right place and not switched half way. that happened to a friend of mine. If it is on 220 it won't work either if you have 110, or vice a verca

Heh, im an idiot. I noticed today that there is an on/off switch that your case plugs into on the mobo. Well I have an old **** case for this and never noticed something was supposed to go there. So I just use a jumper I have an turn the mobo on, all the fans are working and processor is gettin hot (I have waterblock on it), and I see nothing on the screen. The fan on the GF2 is running, but nothing is coming up on the screen. All the jumpers are in default position, I have a 256mb p133 stick on ram in, 1 HD hooked up to IDE1, the processor and the video card in, nothing else. Everything is getting power but nothing comes up on the screen... any suggestions?

-Dan

If you are manually closing the header on the motherboard with a jumper that isn't right. The switch should be a momentary switch (on while pushing, off while not pushing) like your reset switch. I don't know if this is causing your problem but it can't be good.

I would be advisable to invest in a new case with good cooling properties.

Yeah I got the new case coming in the mail. $30 for a pretty decent enlight mid tower w/o the PS. I have no problem modding this thing and I have 6 80mm and 92mm fans to put on it, so I am ok with that. Im gonna wait till I get the case, then install everything, and see if it works. Here is another thing odd though.... when it boots the IDE drives spin, the PCI cards come on, all the fans come on, but the keyboard does not power up (PS/2). My mouse which is USB does power up though.

-Dan

The only obvious things that come to mind are
1) You are plugging the PS2 keyboard in the PS2 mouse plug
2) There is a resource conflict locking out the PS2 port
3) There is a way in your BIOS to disable the PS2 port
4) Bad keyboard.

Well I got the case, installed everything, hooked up power, reset, speaker and all that good stuff. I can now confirm that the computer will not POST. The possible problems are the motherboard, the ram or the CPU. Are there any ways you can think of to test these? I put some PC100 ram I had previously and the computer still didn't POST so I think it is either the mobo or processor. I am thinking I will just RMA both the mobo and CPU together and tell the company to replace whichever one is broken.

-Dan

Back