• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which mobo and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raven

guys quick question

gigabyte 8IE533?
or
MSI 645E Max (SiS 645DX, 533MHz FSB )

the mobo will be the new home for a 1.7 gig celleron
and there is only a 20 dollar canadian difference between the 2 (gigabyte being the more expencive one )
im on a tight budget, and the choice is only between the 2
and im also gettin a stick of kingmax 256 meg either pc2100 or 2700 ram

and plz answer fast... i need to go out and get one today!!:)

raven

EDIT: another board i might consider is the
AOpen AX4B-533 Intel 845E, USB 2.0
but thats aobut 10 bucks more expencive then the gigabyte

Last edited:
If you are going to do any, and I mean any overclocking, staw away from the MSI board.

The SiS chipset is a miserable overclocker under the best circumstances (which is on the Asus board, if you're curious). On the MSI it could almost pass for an Intel house board.

I'm also much more impressed with the overall reliability and quality of Gigabyte boards compared to MSI.

One last candidate you might consider is the Albatron 845PE board. This is a great overclocker and so far the reliablity and quality reports have been very good. The price is right, too. I think I saw this one at under $90 at Newegg.

BHD

I have a soyo with the SIS chipset. It sux really bad. You cant overclock and dang thing with it =|

ok.. so im not gona go for the SiS chipset then

what about these 2
abit BD7II
gigabyte 8PE667 (i845PE)

i checked around stores near me and found these 2 at a decent price... which would you recommend? and why? i read the specs on both and just wondering what you guys can say about them

and i cant find the Albatron 845PE anywhere near me.. and i kinda need the mobo today :p

Another excellent overclocker is the Asus P4PE. You may want to consider it. It is a really sweet mobo.

Also just to mention I have a new Abit 845PE BE7 (no raid) I would sell at a good price if you or anyone is interested. If so e-mail me.

Cheers,
Mike

sorry. mike... i just bought and installed my new mobo gigabyte 8PE667 with a 1.7 celly and 256 megs of ddr 2700 ram and i got it all for $310 Canadian!!:D

sorry. mike... i just bought and installed my new mobo gigabyte 8PE667 with a 1.7 celly and 256 megs of ddr 2700 ram and i got it all for $310 Canadian!!:D

I use to run the MSI 645E Max board and was absolutely pleased with it. It was coupled with a P4 1.6A and promptly OCed to 2.1ghz using the retail HSF. After replacing with a Volcano 7+ (on medium speed setting) I took it to 2.3ghz and left it there until I upgraded.

The system ran 6 months rock stable solid. In my opinion, the SIS chipsets are much more versatile than the early i845's. That is of course until the i845PE. I am now the proud owner of an ABIT IT7-Max2 V2 with a P4 2.53 - worling in the OC now.

SIS chipsets are not subpar in any way...and while MSI may not make the most feature packed board, they still make a solid performer.

Just my $.02
jms

Back