• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

intel chipsets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smokin9

Registered
Sup guys, just had a quick question.. i was planning on upgrading soon, but lookin at the intel roadmap i think its probably best to wait a little bit until the new chipset are released and the intel's that support 800mhz. Out of all the new chipsets that are going to be released which one look best? Right now i have a i850 board so im not sure if I should stick with rdram or I heard ddr2 is supposed to be just as good, if not better? Just wondering what to look out for.

yup, the springdales and canterwood chipsets are comming out the springdales will have 800Mhz ( quad pumped ) FSB and will have ddr2 ram which is faster then ddr and dcddr. and i think they are comming out late spring early summer!

Quote the raven.....
yup, the springdales and canterwood chipsets are comming out the springdales will have 800Mhz ( quad pumped ) FSB and will have ddr2 ram which is faster then ddr and dcddr. and i think they are comming out late spring early summer!
Actually, Springdale and Canterwood will use DDR-I (DDR266, DDR333 or DDR400), the next major chipset after that will use DDR-II - that'll be called Grantsdale.

Expect Springdale/Canterwood to be released at the end of May (if things stay on schedule). Looks like Springdale is going to be nice and fast...........

SPECint_base2000 (integer)
Pentium 4, 3.06GHz, 533MHz, HT, 845GE, DDR 333
Pentium 4, 3.06Ghz, 533MHz, HT, Springdale and DDR 333 - 4% Faster
Pentium 4, 3GHz, 800MHz, HT, Springdale and DDR 400 - 9% Faster

SPECfp_base2000 (floating point)
Pentium 4, 3.06GHz, 533MHz, HT, 845GE, DDR 333
Pentium 4, 3.06Ghz, 533MHz, HT, Springdale and DDR 333 - 26% Faster
Pentium 4, 3GHz, 800MHz, HT, Springdale and DDR 400 - 36% Faster

(Those are Intel's performance figures BTW.)

Other notable Springdale/Canterwood features are.....

- Dual-channel DDR333 and DDR400 support.
- Vastly improved Intel Extreme Graphics (onboard VGA) - 64% faster than i845G in Quake3 and 96% faster in 3DMark2001SE. But since i845G graphics sucked so much it's not that much better!!
- Prescott and Northwood 800FSB support.
- Canterwood has turbo mode for reduced memory latency.
- A brand new memory controller based on the Brookdale-G (i845G) memory controller.
- ICH5 for native SATA and software RAID (through IAA).
- A dedicated channel (called CSA - Communications Streaming Architecture) to the MCH for Gigabit ethernet.
- Hub Link 2.0 for 1.06GB/s bandwidth between MCH and ICH.

Looks pretty good to me!!:D

Coz has proven again that he has forgotten more about Intel chipsets than most people (includning myself) know. As usual, nicely done, sir.

BHD

Yes very nice, so which chipset is suppsoed to be takin over as top performer for the p4? As i850 was, will that be the canterwood chipset?

smokin9 said:
Yes very nice, so which chipset is suppsoed to be takin over as top performer for the p4? As i850 was, will that be the canterwood chipset?

This will help answer that question................

Dsktp_rdmp.jpg

Coz said:

This will help answer that question................

Sorry guys, that's the old one!! Here's the latest version (remember that 875=Canterwood and 865=Springdale)...........

Desktop_roadmap.png

Back