• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair 3500 or OCZ 3500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leathersmt

is it really going to make a difference?
I am trying to decide between the two, and I may even think about the 3700 OCZ......any ideas.....thank you

PhobMX said:
can somebody explain to me what kind of domestic system including brands modles, dividers, etc will actualy make use of 450MHz ram??

The ASUS and Epox nForce2 boards for AMD will all max out well above 200 MHz fsb, where ram of that speed can really come in useful. Using the processor you have in your specs, keeping to the same speed (I'm assuming your not upgrading your cpu here) you could probably put it on 8.5 x 220 or something similar, which should give you a decent boost in performance.

PhobMX said:
can somebody explain to me what kind of domestic system including brands modles, dividers, etc will actualy make use of 450MHz ram??

Only systems on the "BLEEDING EDGE" of overclocking. It's overkill for almost anything else.

leathersmt since you have a P4 system OCZ 3700 would be a great choice to feed the bandwidth of your processor. Plus Im sure It can overclock well so hitting like 480FSB shouldn't be a problem with the right settings. It could save you money then if you ge just the stick of OCZ 3500 and overclock it because im sure they use the same chips at different settings.

ohh, thnx for clarification, my mobo will go up to 221mhz fsb but i dont think it will be stable that high.

on the ocz thingy, i would still go corsair if i where you, either until they get some reputation (2 years straight at least with good products) or they will refund if mem doesnt reach stated speeds

I bought 2 sticks of 256mb OCZ PC2700 REV 3.2 back in November and it worked well beyond it's rated specs on my Abit KX7-333R. When I bought my Asus A7N8X Deluxe however it didn't seem to run as well. It was Asus's fault for releasing sub par bios's that did not recognize the ram properly. I contacted OCZ about it and they sent me out some pre-tested OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel EL memory as a replacement at no charge. It works excellent in my Asus board and I am very happy with OCZ customer service. They answer emails very quickly and try very hard to make sure the customer is happy. I believe they are trying very hard to shake the bad image that they had in the past. They use the same quality parts as Corsair or Twinmos or any other name brand.

I also vote corsair, stable, fast ram i am running 185 FSB 2-2-2-5 at 2.7 VDimm and its stable through 35 hours of prime95.

matt

OCZ does some questionable marketing... like setting up sites just to review its ram. It also has a poor reseller rating for it's website. A lot of people have gotten crap from them in the past.

That being said, a lot of people are getting some great performance from their memory right now. I hear as much good about them as I hear bad.

My advice? If you need a sure thing now, buy corsair. But if you can afford to RMA an underperforming stick, go with OCZ. And DON'T buy direct. Go to newegg.com or something that is highly reputable and will RMA things quickly and reliably.

Back