• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darcwun

I just installed a 300watt generic psu i have a tbird 1.0 gig
i have 2 questions
1: what does the 5v and 12v mean. i see these figures under my power levels. the figure for the 5v keep going in between 4.92 and 5.004 and the figures for 12v stay around 12.724.
My second question is.
I had an old 200watt psu which would not let me overclock the cpu at all but as soon as i got the the new psu it let me over clock using the multiplier up to 1.1gig but this is the weird part some time i will be able to post but some time i will not be able to post at all until i lower the mulitiplier down to 10.5 what could be causing this. Could this be a problem with the power supply.
Thanks

There is nothing wrong with you 300W power supply, the voltage number are just about right. When I had a 250W, the 5V line is around 4.75V and 12V line is a bit under 12V. Are you giving enough vcore voltage for the cpu?

i am giving 1.850 vcore thats the max i can set my mobo for what about the cpu vio voltage does that make a difference.

Darcwun (Apr 20, 2001 03:32 a.m.):
i am giving 1.850 vcore thats the max i can set my mobo for what about the cpu vio voltage does that make a difference.

You have a EPoX 8KTA+ KT133 chipset mobo and the multipler, vcore and vi/o setting is adjusted by dip switch or jumper.
The VIO is apply to the memory, northbridge, agp and pci bus, the default 3.4V on your mobo is more than enough to keep it stable, so leave it alone.
It is probably a problem with your cpu or motherboard's multiper setting.
1. Just how well did you cover each trace on the L1 bridge with lead or what ever you used.
2. Can you use any of the cpu multipler below 10X?
3. Too aggreasive Ram speed if you don't have a good quality ram will hinder your pc from running, stay with Host on Ram speed and tune down ram setting if you did set them to max.
4. How is the cpu temp doing at 10.5X? Also try the default vcore voltage; 1.75V.
If you give a little more detail, then more people might be able to help as well.

Back