• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Timings versus FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metra

Would it be better to run a chip at 2.5-3-3-6 with a higher fsb (approx. 405) or at 2-3-3-5 at a lower fsb (380-390.. maybe lower). What do you guys usually do? And yes im feeling a bit lazy cause i dont want to perform the experiment myself and see what PCMark and SANDRA have to say... But thats probably because i got midterms tmw and im very tired today. =/

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Ooops just noticed someone posted something sorta like this... uhh, mods if you feel you need to delete then OK.

Yeah thats what i was thinking... it seemed pretty logical. How much of a difference do aggresive timings really make?

I get better 3D Marks with agg. timings (and lower FSB) than with relaxed timings and high FSB...

...not much, it's close. About 300 more points.

metra said:
Yeah thats what i was thinking... it seemed pretty logical. How much of a difference do aggresive timings really make?

couple of hundred points in 3dmark?

The highest fsb I can run right now is 187. At 188, my bios is all scrambled up. I'm also at the lowest(most aggressive memory timings).

For me, just put it at the most aggresive,and see how high you can go :)

In my case timmings did a lot for me. I went from 2-6-3-3 to 2-5-2-2 and my score went from 10717 to 11114K. When playing games I get 3-4 more fps playing NBA LIVE 2003.

But, keep in mind every system is different so just benchmark both settings and see which one is better.

I do a mix, 185 FSB 2-2-2-5 timings, decent FSB speed and nice timings, works well for me, havnt done much experimenting though, i need to.

Matt

Back